ROM installer for Windows & Mac (and Linux?)

(Andrew Low) #4

I have used codebender.cc and as I wrote in my initial response, I found that the Chrome app appeared to take over the port that my Arduboy was connected to. This interfered with my using the arduino IDE (on Linux). I didn’t bother to debug the problem, I just removed the Chrome app.

I did do some playing with codebender.cc and created a simple button test https://codebender.cc/sketch:172067

I like the idea of having a web IDE, but it’s sort of anti-retro to require an always onilne connection to work. (again, my opinion).

A stand-alone game manager IF done right, could be nice. Also allowing the capturing and sharing of .hex files helps protect against library mis-matches.

I played a little bit tonight with avrgirl https://www.npmjs.com/package/avrgirl-arduino – it is able to flash a .hex file but fails to do so fairly often. I might take a look at the node.js code to see if there are some bugs in their leonardo handling code. I got a variety of errors (again under Linux) - reset failures, SEGVs, etc. Repeated attempts to flash a .hex file did result in it working just fine… but that’s not a good user experience.

(Scott) #5

This doesn’t appear to be a problem with the Firefox plugin under Linux. I’ve been able to program from a port using the IDE, while Firefox was on a codebender sketch page with the same port showing as detected.

(Gavin Atkin) #6

I think this concept will be much more important with the next version of Arduboy that will have an SD slot. To have a package installer that will flash the ROM and load the SD with all the game files will be really useful. Without this type of package installer it could be pretty rough making sure all the files go to the right place.

(Andrew Low) #7

I respectfully disagree. Having used “flash carts” for handheld game consoles (Nintendo DS for example) - once the bootloader has some way to read/select files from the SD card, it’ll just be a matter of loading the card up with a bunch of .hex files.

The Gamebuino already has SD card support and a loading system. http://gamebuino.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bootloader

The point of a ROM installer is to make it really simple to load games onto the current Arduboy. Ideally as a stand-alone (not connected to the internet) solution.

I didn’t even think to try FireFox – installing the plugin now… >> Cool, seems to work great… even alongside the Arduino IDE [edit: hmm… now I’m stuck in weird USB serial port land… this may be a Linux issue more than anything else (and more specifically my weird setup problem)]

A codebender.cc style website that made it super trivial to install games would be cool. I wonder if we can re-use the codebender plugin from a different web page…

(Noopkat) #8

Hi Andrew!

Excited to see you tried avrgirl-arduino to see if flashing hex files to the Arduboy would work. Sorry about the bugs :frowning:

While I don’t have an Arduboy to test with (yet!), after reading your post I pulled out both my Linux laptop and an Ubuntu VM on my MBP. After testing with some leo-esque boards, I saw the same thing with some resetting errors as you described. Doh. Must have intro’d some code along the way which broke things on 'nix.

I just released a patch which may help resolve some of the issues, if you’d be so kind as to test avrgirl-arduino again after reinstalling the lastet version? No pressure to use avrgirl for flashing ROMs instead of codebender, but would really appreciate the feedback to see if it fixed anything for you :smile:

Thanks!
Suz

Vanity Search
(Alberto) #9

Have anybody try to upload HEX with this? http://paulkaplan.me/HexUploader/

it still needs Arduino IDE to work so …:unamused:

(Josh Goebel) #11

Can you link me to the fix/patch you’re referring to, please?

(Josh Goebel) #12

Most of the issues I saw were timing glitches… I have it working pretty solid now on my Mac… I’d say 95% hit rate… needs a little more tweaking.

Teaser: Arduboy binary .hex Installer
(Noopkat) #13

Hi Josh (and others in this thread)!

I finished up another tweak to AVRGirl Arduino a couple of days ago, due to the extra wait before writing to memory the Arduboy requires after resetting. I finally have an Arduboy in possession (yay!) and it seems super solid now compared to issues previously.

Using AVRGirl, I made an Electron app that will flash a .hex file to an Arduboy the easy way. Feel free to check it out in the link below. I would love for peeps to test it and let me know if it works for you! :slightly_smiling:

The download links are in the README from the link above.

If you’re using it on Linux, you’ll need to run the app with admin privs unless you’ve granted special access to the USB devices without needing admin granted.

They are rather LARGE downloads, I am sorry :frowning: Electron is essentially an entire browser and node packaged as one.

I want to add things like flashing from a url, better UI styling for it all, better logging of errors etc etc. I’ll be adding to it continually :smiley:

Thanks!
Suz
PS. The Arduboy rocks, btw <3

Welcome New Developers! A Listing of Development Links and Articles
(Noopkat) #14

gah, I didn’t hit the right reply button, please see my reply to you above.

(Josh Goebel) #15

Can you point me to the exact commits on github that you fixed things with? I’ve already vendored your code to make other changes.

(Noopkat) #16

sure, it’s this here: https://github.com/noopkat/avrgirl-arduino/commit/c83f657ab6b899cb363dc09cf7c7d5a38f9b499d

as you can see, it’s a temporary hack until I write up a serial connection polling service to replace the serial listing service which is more ideal for some leonardo boards :slightly_smiling: on the flip side, this is concise enough for you to work into your fork of avrgirl arduino, I imagine :smiley:

Here is CodeBender’s .hex uploader (in beta) if anyone has time to do something with it:

(Duncan Young) #18

@dreamer3 what about Xloader,it uploads hex files easy to anything with arduino bootloader,simple little windows app.it works great.

(Duncan Young) #19

For those having trouble using this with leonardo (or any atmega32u4 board) – I got it to work by using putty to put it into bootloader mode, just connect putty to the correct com port at 1200. As soon as you close putty it will go into bootloader mode – you need to check which com port is created while in bootloader mode and set xloader to connect to this. works great! with some modding i think this would be great simple hex uploader.

(Andrew Iobst) #20

I know that somebody within the community is making a Uploading program(Too lazy to look). Modern Browsers have the ability to launch other programs via hyperlinks(and can open up files, too).
What about this setup:

1. Log onto the Arduboy Game Catalog.
  2. Select the “Download!” Button.
  3. The program automatically uploads the game to the Arduboy!

Thoughts about a game binary database
(Holmes) #21

Yes! But it looks like someone already beat me to the punch!

I love your program! Can’t wait to use it! However, we could really increase the usefulness of this program by incorporating a feature to pull games from the net. I can imagine the program talking to a server and requesting a list of games/apps to get a list, including meta data like the name, compatible version, creator, etc. Then, whenever someone chooses it and click ‘Upload,’ it would download, then install the selected .hex file.

I have never used Electron, but if you’re unable to do this, I think I’d go ahead and create a new program in C# for Windows. Either way, I can end up hosting all of the meta data and .hex files. I can include a front-end for web where people can download programs and even submit their own.

I 100% agree with this. From a my perspective, I am afraid that people will get their Arduboy’s in and have no idea what to do. I don’t think CodeBender is what we want non-tech savvy people to use. They aren’t developers and they don’t care about source code, no matter how much we do.

We need a program that someone can simply download and view a catalog of games, plug in their Arduboy, and click install. That’s it.

Hey, Skyrunner65, I was just searching through threads with this idea in mind to see if anyone else has done this, already. If @noopkat ends up not being able to incporate this, I will go ahead and do it in my own application.

Sooo, where did this all end up? I’m interested in helping to fine tune the hex loading process.

I get we’re all trying to encourage everyone to become coders, but not everyone wants to code. It serves us all to help Arduboy be as popular as possible and that means coders and non-coders alike.

(Holmes) #23

I released the Windows version! There is a major hick-up in the macOS version. Some kind of Swift error that is at a system-level.

Here is the thread for the Windows version of Arduboy Manager:

http://community.arduboy.com/t/arduboy-manager-2-0-released/2809