Scratches on front plastic cover

Hello
I actually got a new one today and it has some scratches. Maybe can come out with replacement case and buttons?
Thank you :smiley:

If you really need a replacement, we have SOME, but it’s kind of a quagmire because the new one gonna get scratched up in short order.

There is really not a heck of a lot we can do about this right now, the suggestion from other users to deploy a scratch resistant sticker to the screen area certainly works. But from a design perspective it’s not something we think is perfect solution from an aesthetics point of view.

Personally, I look at this as an opportunity to let go of the feeling that everything should always be in perfectly pristine condition. I hope this doesn’t make me seem like a jerk, because of course I want you to have the best product possible but try to see the scuffs and scratches as a badge of honor, it’s developing a nice patina.

Wabi-sabi my friends.

But yeah, if you’re supper chuffed up about this, please let us know at the contact page, we want you to be happy with your purchase, we will do what we can!

2 Likes

What I do is to stick a screen protector before using the Arduboy.

I use a laptop screen protector from Skinomi that uses water for the application

It is invisible and makes me feel really safe when handling the Arduboy. Final result:

3 Likes

That’s what I did with my Arduboy. I definitely could have done a better job with the application of the film but the flaws aren’t noticeable when in use, so I haven’t bothered to re-apply or replace it.

I just let mine get healthy battle scars. It’s as retro as it gets!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend trying to remove scratches without knowing the material otherwise there’s a good chance of ending up with an opaque screen or chemicals damaging the plastics integrity, although In the past I’ve had great success with leather and banana skins to restore disks to a mirror finish.

There’s also an issue that the adhesives in some films and screen protectors may react with the plastic.

Maybe @bateske can shed some light on the material used?

According to the kickstarter page the case is made of polycarbonate.

2 Likes

Polycarbonate is aparently what certain windscreens are made of.
So something designed for removing scratches from windscreens should work.

2 Likes

You beat me to it :joy:

Avoide alcahol or ammonia based products at all costs.
Also if using a buffing wheel use low speeds not to heat the plastic or stick to good old fashioned elbow grease.
You may also find suitable materials in disc repair kits for a smaller price.

1 Like

There is a novus plastic scratch removal kit with 3 steps. I have removed scratches from very delicate stuff with that.

1 Like

I’m not sure there is any way to remove the scratches. Nothing we can recommend anyways. We’re already using a material that has a scratch resistant additive mixed in with it. The best advice we have if your worried about scratches is buying a screen protector, some other users have mentioned a pebble smart watch has the right size screen to fit.

1 Like

Ah Novus I’ve used that before. Just a note that for light scratches it’s best just to go with step 2 and 3. The step 1 polishing cream is pretty aggressive and will really make clear plastic super hazy.

Polishing or any scratch removal method is just basically cutting down the surface to even out or level the surrounding surface to the depth of the scratch. Nothing can really be done to restore plastic to the original finish. Like they say, prevention is better than cure.

2 Likes