Self Bootloading Mod-Chip

The ATtiny is on all the mod chips, and can be flashed with the FX activator, which then re-flashes the bootloader of the 32u4.

Nothing needs a programmer you just need a PC, and if you buy the pre-loaded mod-chip you don’t even need a PC.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mr.Blinky and @bateske for the info. I’m super excited (and twitchy!) for the most anticipated hardware of 2020! :wink:

1 Like

T-1N2W121500A(1)

11 Likes

Can’t wait for these to start shipping out! (I can’t even remember how many I ordered now :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

Installation takes less than 6 minutes!

6 Likes

In theory you can use this in games as well?

Yeah we have some rough stuff here and other places:

That is so cool. So it is sorta like a coprocessor or it could be used to hold an OS and all that jazz.

Nice. Maybe useful for instructions: don’t throw away that piece of kapton tape but use it to secure the modchip so it stays better in place when soldering.

It’s not a co processor but memory expansion to store game data and graphics.

Theoretically it COULD be but you’d have to rewrite the attiny with your own code and also interleave communication with the display so there is unlikely to be any opportunity to increase performance, but there could be some novel and interesting ideas I haven’t thought of yet.

Just made an update to the instructions for this monster!

Long way we have come!

5 Likes

The mod chip has been discontinued until further notice due to the problems trying to source the attiny84 chip. The recent batch is being produced at a loss in order to fulfill orders but current lead times are over a year at the correct pricing.

If we can redesign the bootloader-loader to work with a different chip that is available then this could work.

Coming here I also realize I need to update the instructions for the mod chip onto the new website…

On microchip.com I saw that the ATTINY85-20MU is available for $0.98 (100+) and available jan 2023 if bought now. Thats just 8 months :slight_smile:

If redesigning it for the newer generation ATTINY816-MF you could shave of some 3 months. But would it be worth it?

Edit:

Redesigning for an ATTINY1616-MFR would be even better/faster

2 Likes

Arduboy mod chip is back on the menu!

4 Likes

Still 20$ to send it to EU :crying_cat_face:

Buy a handful and resell the ones you don’t need?