Shattered Lands: Towers of Perdition(v 1.3)
Binary Release (v1.3)
StrategyGuide.pdf (274.6 KB)
I have just finished working on my first RPG game for the Arduboy. I bought my Arduboy back in April '19 and have been hard at work on this project for a while now (though had a few months where I wasn’t able to work on it). By far the biggest challenge was balancing quality vs quantity. I could have more / larger maps but would sacrifice the battle mechanics (which was my favorite part). I was able to sneak in 7 pieces of background music using some procedural generation (each song ‘intelligently’ picks between 64 different notes to play and each song has a tempo which is the number of frames each note is held for). When you complete the game your data is saved registering to Shattered Lands 2 allowing you to continue your progress once I finish the sequel (shouldn’t take as long since all the code is now implemented and it’s just a matter of making content).
Next on my TODO list is put together my homemade Arduboy clone with a 64Mbit memory chip. From there I want to radically enhance this system to have a 2 person party with more maps and more content since all the content can be offloaded onto the memory chip allowing more space for more complex code.
EDIT: Will be uploading the code to github shortly. Currently uses 26,654/26,672 bytes. Also uploaded the strategy guide in the form of a booklet (print double-sided flipped on the short side).
EDIT: Updated the hex file because the firewolf battle graphic had a solid black line on the left. Checked over all the sprites and it was the only one. Also updated the strategy guide as I forgot to fill in the recommended levels in the walkthrough section.
EDIT: The songs used for each map was incorrect. It uses a single byte with the upper 3 bits indicating the song, but I set the overworld correctly and then just incremented the left hex number by 1 instead of by 2. This now uses the songs originally intended for each map.
EDIT: I forgot to include some way to mute / unmute the audio. There wasn’t enough space for a menu option or any simple solution. Holding down ‘A’ while booting will now toggle the audio and save it for future boots.
EDIT: The source code has now been uploaded to GitHub. Took a bit to familiarize with the process.
EDIT: Released 1.4 merging filmote’s PR saving 400 bytes and adding the arduboy.systemButtons() routine so audio on/off now works in the standard way (hold B when booting and push UP to enable audio and DOWN to disable audio).