Where does the map size fit in relationship to Arduventure can you share?
The map is 64x64 tiles roughly, though it’s broken up into 8x8 chunks and 16 tiles per map. Each chunk uses 2 bytes (1bit/tile) indicating which tiles are used in that chunk. From there it determines how many bits to use for each tile in the chunk (0bits for 1 tile, 1 bit for 2, 2 bits for 3-4, 3 bits for 5-8, and 4 bits for 8+). This allows the chunks to be individually compressed based on their complexity. One of the things I noticed with Arduventure is it has a very large overworld map (with great details), but doesn’t allow room for sub-maps or much in the way of a battle system. I wanted to have a decent sized map (not exactly 64x64 max, but rather max of 64 chunks) while focusing primarily on the battle system. I’m working on getting the code uploaded to GitHub on my next day off so I can share the source code (licensed GPL v3.0). I’ve got detailed comments on how all the data is broken down, including the map events. I’ve also got a map editor using C++/Qt but I’m modifying it to be able to also edit the map events (that was painstaking creating them all by hand, and required setting the various bits and then using a binary to hex converter).
Too bad it is one of the things that crashes the embedded emulator
The game works fine in the emulator, just not through the forum iframe. Not sure why that’s the case, but if you copy the link to the hex file and paste it as the url in the emulators main site (like this) then it works just fine. Not sure why that is, but I noticed a few games that have that issue.
EDIT: Just tried inspecting the page source in chrome and copied the iframe src link and pasted it into the address bar and it works perfectly fine. Might be something related to the iframe.