Simple Idle Cash

(Karate Snoopy) #1

A quick weekend project used to teach my son programming.
Just press the A or B to spend the cash and watch it pile up.

Cash increases slowly at first.
Buildings cost $1000 more than last building
Towers cost 100 buildings more than last tower
Cites cost 30 towers more than last city

(Simon) #2

Nice one. How old is your son? You can never start programming too early.

(Pharap) #3

Glad to see a function being declared before it’s used for a change.
(Instead of relying on the non-standard .ino behaviour to avoid predeclaration.)

I was going to cricise the use of sprintf, but then I remembered that there isn’t an overload for arduboy.print(uint64_t), so I can understand why it’s used.

Although 255 chars is more than you need.
At most you need 31 chars: 10 (Length of "Building: ") + 20 (length of 2^64) + 1 (null terminator).

(Karate Snoopy) #4

He’s 9 years old :slight_smile: Arduboy is a great way to learn C++ game programming. Its easy to make a small fun game

(Karate Snoopy) #5

Good point. Old habit from my DOS programming days :slight_smile:

Having some interesting new simple games popping up!

(Kevin) #7

This game concept illustrates one of my favorite mechanics ever: Press X occasionally to win. This is how I feel about some of my all time favorites like Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Trigger. Obviously these games have other mechanics but a lot of it is just mashing through dialogues and auto-attacking.

It also illustrates how simple games can really captivate a young mind. I showed Tetris to a 3 year old who just watched the blocks piled up, getting excited that “I’m building something!”.

I’ve got a goal to organize the Arduboy Arcade / Game Library so that there is a suggested age group for the apps.

Love to see when parents and kids are learning together!