Excellent! Keep us updated if they come up with any cool uses for the hardware.
Yeah, I have been focusing on other things for the last few days, although I did get my shipment of 31 units plus a receiver in yesterday.
I was messing around with the receiver last night and somehow broke the ATmega16U2 MCU. For some reason I was not able to successfully communicate with it via the ISP header. It wouldn’t even read the signature right. At some point the MCU seems to have completely died and it no longer enumerates over USB. I pulled it off the board and wired it up on a test board, and still nothing. I double and triple checked my ISP header and tested it on a Arduino Uno R3 board, so I don’t think the issue is with my programmer. But, I was able to access the ATmega128RFA1 and re-program it via the other pads on the bottom. So, I need to either get a new ATmega16U2, or maybe just hack in a USB-to-serial adapter.
Yeah, this new set of 31 units all have battery acid in the compartment. Kind of annoying, but I got them for real cheap and they still seem functional. Just will take a lot of cleaning (or replace the back like you mentioned!)