Soldering tips tricks and techniques

Hello. So when it comes to soldering, I am kind of a novice, and what confuses me the most is how do you solder multiple wires to the same pin? For instance, Ground, it is inevitable that you will have to reuse the same ground for multiple different things, but I don’t understand how you connect multiple wires to the same pin.

2 Likes

There’s a few ways to go about it. The best, imo, is to twist the wires you’re going to use together at one end, then tin that end (cover in solder, just not too much). Tin the pin you’re going to connect it to, and then solder them together. The wires won’t fall away from each other when the solder loses it’s cohesion this way, because they’re all one at the end.

Another way to go about it is to use a “third hand” or “helping hand”, great tool for soldering, and will allow you to position wires where you want to go while keeping everything very still. This way all you have to do is worry about your soldering iron and the solder, instead of constant re-positioning.

While it mostly just details tips for PCB work, not so much loose wires, this guide by Adafruit is great for beginners or just a refresh on the basics of good solder practice for more familiar makers!

2 Likes

Mmm, and how would I do it for the same hole? Like the holes on perfboard. Or the holes on Arduinos.

1 Like

If you’re using holes on perfboard it may be easier to give them each their own and connect on the underside. But for bringing several wires to one hole, like an arduino pin, you can expose a bit more wire than you usually would, twist the others around it but leave the long wire further out than the other wires. Tin it, throw some heat-shrink on if you want, and the end of the wire should be able to fit through the arduino pinhole. solder it like any other pin. You can really get creative though, there’s lots of places to connect the wires together for different looks. As long as they’re all connected and not incredibly long cables, you should be fine. Just make sure the very end is one wire’s width so it’ll fit.

1 Like

I am not sure what perf board you are using but some like that below have rails for this exact reason. I am guessing that one you are using is just holes with no rails.

2 Likes

Yeah, mine doesn’t have rails.

Pity … too late to swap?

Oh no…you’re not saying… :expressionless:

This might help … or maybe not.

1 Like

Alright, I think I found a way: I connect a wire to the ground pin to a hole on the perfboard. Then I make a line of solder connecting to it. Same thing with 5v, so now I can just heath up an area on the solder line, and insert a wire.

You could try to make your own rails. Place a long pieace of solid wire to one edge of the holes on a row, push the tips into the two holes at the end, and solder things to the wire as a rail. I’ve done stuff like that before, while it’s not pretty, it does work. Sometimes superglue on the very ends helps to keep it stationary if you’re having issues with that. but as long as it’s close over all the holes in a row, and slightly offset to still be able to push things through the hole, you should be fine. If you don’t have long enough solid wires, chain them. I often take ones from extra lengths off resistors and capacitors for stuff like this. It’s dirty, but there’s a certain charm to its lack of charm.

1 Like

Alright after giving it some thought, maybe I should just buy a big piece of stripboard and then whenever I need the rails I can just cut a portion of it and connect it to the perfboard somehow.