Speaker/sound and volume control

Yeah, I used it on my old diy Arduboy and it worked, but I’m still unsure.

Also, why are all the piezo buzzers I’m finding on Amazon active ones?

Are these the right ones I need? https://www.amazon.ca/Gikfun-Mainboard-Computer-Internal-Speaker/dp/B01LY5OP1E/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=passive+piezo+speaker&qid=1632612035&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTjRQUDM0WDJORjhPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTUyMDE2MkJFRU1SQVczWVZTSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjI0MTMyMzhLV1pUSks1MlQ3QiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I’ve always found that ones like that, designed for PC motherboard speakers, are voice coil type, not piezo.

1 Like

If you want one like the Arduboy uses, search for piezo disc. However, these bare discs aren’t very loud unless you mount them to something that resonates. I use double sided tape to mount them to the cut off bottom of a single serving yogourt cup or something similar.

Also, another thing, I found a tape called Kapton tape and it is a good non conductive tape for taping down circuit boards?

Also, I was testing the buzzer again and I think maybe (like 95% sure) that I was accidently touching the two spiky things because this time I got no recording (so it’s probably piezoelectric) and when I measured a resistor it recorded what it should have, so I think my buzzer is piezoelectric.

1 Like

It depends on what you mean by “taping down”. Kapton tape is a very good insulator, which is why it’s used to isolate conductors in electrical equipment to prevent shorts. The yellow tape sealing the end and covering the circuit board in your LiPo battery is Kapton tape.

If by “taping down” you mean holding it in place, there may be something better for mechanical strength, if high insulation isn’t as important.

1 Like

I mean attaching a board to something, like taping it down to something, like perfboard. What kind of tape do you suggest?

Okay, I tried it again and today I was still getting a number in the 1500’s. I am so confused.

Almost any non-metallic tape will have a high enough resistance that it won’t cause problems with electronic circuitry. Use whatever you think will hold and last.

For something intended to be permanent, I would tend to try to find a mechanical way, like screws, wire, brackets, clips or solder.

What do you mean by 1500s? Ohms, killoohms, megaohms?

I think ohms

Then you’re right, it doesn’t make sense. Can you post a photo showing your meter with the reading and the back of the buzzer with the meter leads attached?

1 Like

I found another buzzer (I used it on my previous Arduboy) and this one has a green circuit board. They looked Identical.

I measured this one and I was getting somewhere in the hundreds and 40’s and 20’s and literaly where not. BUT it was beeping and the only time I’ve experienced my multimeter beeping before is when both spikes touch each other. However, when there wasn’t a beeping noise, it showed a number in the hundreds.

Also, I tested both buzzers with 5v and the one with the resin sort of thing beeped and the one without the resin thing didnt beep. Does that mean anything?

Do I have to worry if it’s passive or active, or are they all the same? Also, will they be louder the bigger these discs get?

Bare discs are always passive. Generally, a larger disc will be capable of higher volume but at some point it will be limited by the amount of energy you can put into it. Again, the surface you mount it to will have a large effect on the volume (and frequency curve) you get.

1 Like

What kind of a sound you think would be created if the disc is on something like perfboard? What do you think is a surface that gets the perfect sound?