SQUARE NOSE - the Squarrel

Square%20Nose%20588x144

IS IT TASTY?

STORY:
In a near future, in 1996, two international companies fight against each other to reign on the pet dry food market. On one hand, Old Ram, the leader, promises in the advertising « A longer life for your beloved ones ». On the other hand, True Pasta, the challenger, comes up with a fresh « More tasty! More speed! More fun! ».

In the True Pasta laboratory, doctor Meggan drives the tests with some genetically modified animals to see what kind of dry food is the most exciting. At the end, the perfect formula will be used to produce meaty rings that will be eaten by cats and dogs in our sweet homes. True Pasta will shine over the world as the unique cooking chef for the furry kids.

A new hard working day begins for our little Square Nose, who is placed in the test chamber by doctor Meggan. She will mesure the time it takes for the squarrel to eat the 32 meaty rings and she will record it in her notebook. If Square Nose loses its time to make friendly contacts with the other animals in the box, it will receive a gentle electric shock, and the test will be considered a failure. That isn’t cruel, this is the scientific procedure!

So, what are you waiting for? Let’s go! Eat them all, Square Nose!

CONTROLS:
A: start
LEFT / RIGHT: run
B: jump
DOWN: crouch (not very useful for the moment)

FEATURES:

• big old true pixels
  • no inertia (you run at your max speed as early as you press LEFT or RIGHT)
  • no scrolling (no bad surprise from something that was hidden out of the screen)
  • different jump heights
  • three levels, with their own different characters to meet
  • an in game time (to see if you beat your last try… or your friends)
  • random spawning for the meaty rings (no repetitive patterns)

DOWNLOAD:

ToChars by Crait. Tinyfont by Boti Kis. Squiddy by Aphrodite. Cross-compiling by Sorunome.

IN A REAL NEAR FUTURE…

• a true port on Gamebuino Meta
  • colors
  • hard mode
  • Square Nose merchandising $$$
  • what else?

Juice Lizard is a french artist who has also made « The guy who never complains » and « Cutie E » on Arduboy and « Frame Perfect » on Kitco. You can see his paintings and drawings on www.juicelizard.canalblog.com and https://www.facebook.com/JuiceLizard/

(Erwin) #2

Why are the rings round?

BTW I uploaded your game> http://arduboy.ried.cl/

(Stephane C) #3

This is really neat…

Introducing the Square Nose characters!
Here, made in perler beads by Coxeline ( http://coxeline.com ).
In order of appearance in the game:
Square Nose the squarrel, with its brown fur. It was genetically modified to fit in a box and to be always hungry. It can run and jump like a true acrobat. Its nose is a red square, like a famous independent video game character.
In the first level we meet Bird and its white and gray feathers. If it were flapping, it could be the main character of this game. It shares the room with Bug and its blue shell. The only bug in the game. It walks at random speed. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast.
Frog is green with blue eyes and a pink mouth. It looks bigger than Square Nose but jumps the same way. You will meet it in the second level.
Squid is red and rotates around its gray ball, alternatively. It comes from the game « Squiddy » by Aphrodite (on Pico 8 and Pokitto). It is the true last boss of the game. You will see it in the third test chamber, if you play well enough.
There are also the beige meaty rings that Square Nose has to catch. The test is complet when you eat thirty-two of them. If you do it fast enough, they will be considered as good food and will be produced massively to be sold as pet food by the True Pasta company.

Great news! “Square Nose” is updated. Now you can loop the game twice with an increasing speed of some enemies. I also add some congratulation music and screen when you finish the third level.

I promised merchandising: the stickers are here! Buy a color or black and white A5 sheet for 2 euros, plus the shipping cost. Contact me by PM for details.

Those stickers are not for outside use. You can easily cut them with scissors. The colors match with the Gamebuino Meta palette. Each pixel on those is 5 x 5 mm.

(Stephane C) #6

I don’t know what it is, but i just love this game… really is a fine demake, streamlined perfectly down to the basic and still fun to play.

MINI GAME JAM !!!

Take the source code of Square Nose , smell it, shake it, warp it as you wish and make a beautiful modification.

Show it here or send it to me by MP. You have two weeks (end of submission: wednesday the 17th of october 2018).

The best* one will win a t-shirt!

Other poeple could by them 20 € each + shipping cost.

You coud also compete on Gamebuino Meta (one t-shirt to win / console) with the colored version of the game.

*best = depending on my personal obscure and unpredictable decision

(Pharap) #8

You might want to stick a licence on it before you ask people to modify it.
For Arduboy games the most popular open-source licences are MIT, Apache 2.0, and BSD 3-clause.

(Simon) #9

What a great idea! If only I wasn’t so busy ATM …

Thank you for those informations. I don’t know a lot about licences. Let’s say people can play my game for free, use parts of my code in their own creations, share it and modify it as well, but you have to ask me before making money with it. And it is good to tell that I made this game when you present it to others.

(Scott R) #11

A little clarification is that military police or member of parliament? I would hate to send the wrong guy on such a journey :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jean Charles Lebeau) #12

It’s Personnal Message in french: Message Personnel => MP :smiley:

(Pharap) #13

The only licence I can think of that matches those parameters is the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 (en français),
but creative commons advises against using it for code.

Despite that, it’s probably a better option than not having a licence.

(Scott) #14

Another option would be to take a licence, such as MIT or BSD, and add your own “non-commercial” clause to it. There’s no rule that says you have to use an existing licence verbatim.

(Pharap) #15

Ironically licences aren’t necessarily open source and/or in the public domain so modifying a well known licence may not be an option.

For example the GPL v3 is copyrighted and expressly not allowed to be edited:

Copyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. http://fsf.org/

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

(Presumably because the FSF doesn’t want anyone using the GPL as a base to create a non-copyleft licence or a licence that violates the ‘essential freedoms’ - incidentally a non-commercial clause would.)

Even if it is permitted, you have to be careful with the wording for it to be legally valid.
Sometimes seemingly innocuous words can have a specific legal meaning that’s different to your intent.
That’s enough of a minefield when English is your first language, but worse still when it isn’t.

Great news! “Square Nose” is selected by IndieCade Europe to be presented during three hours in the Show & Tell, friday the 19th of october 2018 (next week) in Paris (between 11h00 and 14h00).
https://indiecade-europe.eu/
People who will send me their Square Nose mod by PM will maybe have their game shown near to the original (because I own three Arduboys). I will also present the Gamebuino Meta version of the game, stickers and t-shirts related to the game… and this full size fur version of the main character:

(Pharap) #18

I started making a mod,
but really all I did was clean up the code to make it more C++-style,
I haven’t got round to modifying any behaviour.

But before I published my changes, I’d want the code to be licenced.
Without a licence, publishing modifications isn’t technically allowed:

When you make a creative work (which includes code), the work is under exclusive copyright by default. Unless you include a license that specifies otherwise, nobody else can use, copy, distribute, or modify your work without being at risk of take-downs, shake-downs, or litigation.

(Quoted from Choose A License.)

I think this might be putting other people off as well.

Thanks to you, I have added the license that seems to be the most appropriate for my game and what I want other people do with it. It is in the README in my GitHub account, for “Square Nose” and “Square Nose Color”.

Cats don’t do their job. Streets are not safe anymore…