Starduino, a Star Fox inspired 3D rail shooter for Arduboy

(Pharap) #34

Is the code going to be released at any point?
(I’m far more interested in the code than the game itself.)

Amazing! How can I upload it using a mac? (I usually use Arduino software to do it (.ino files)

Thanks for sharing your work!

(Sean) #36

This is super neat! One of the few Arduboy games where I feel like I’m at an actual place flying a real machine. It feels more fluid than the original Starfox. Thanks for sharing this :star_struck:

I was able to load it from Linux with MrBlinky’s Python utils, which sound like they work on Mac too:

> python uploader.py path/to/game.arduboy

(Stephane Hockenhull) #38

That’s the command I use on Linux, OSX is similar:

avrdude -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:game.hex:i

You’ll have to find where the avrdude executable is if it’s not in your OSX terminal shell’s path, it’s probably somewhere inside the Arduino.App directory (OSX apps are directories) and change /dev/ttyACM0 to whatever /dev/something the Arduboy shows up as (the Arduino IDE will tell you)

Alternatively I think Team A.R.G. made an OSX version of their uploader tool if you prefer that.

(Stephane Hockenhull) #39

@bateske Go have a look. :smile:

:white_check_mark: #BucketList

(Kevin) #40

Alright man that is awesome! Congratulations! :confetti_ball: All of your coding skills for sure deserve it!

(Shawn) #41

Congrats on making HAD @rv6502!

(Kevin) #42

Hey @rv6502 your on hackaday again this time for your bad apple demo! https://hackaday.com/2019/01/08/bad-apple-via-the-arduino-mega/

(Dylan) #43

How do you flash a new game? I can’t seem to get into flashlight mode with this installed and it doesn’t have the usb library.

(Jean Charles Lebeau) #44

Stephane, you’re amazing… after starfox, the bad apple video coded in the MEGA… Impressionnant :wink: Bien joué. Well done. I hope youll continue to works on these consoles and Arduino, i like tht you do (as many think too).
Hum, i wish you do same on the META as i would see this Star Fox on a color Aduino Console too… With that you done with 2 colors, its could be amazing if you could do same with the colors and the hardware…

(Stephane Hockenhull) #45

You have to push the reset button just before flashing.

It’s not bricked but it’s the same trick to reflash.

(Stephane Hockenhull) #46

Like this:

You can use the arduino IDE or avrdude (bundled with flashing apps) or another tool by pressing reset just before flashing

For avrdude:

avrdude -F -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/Puzzle_Minesweeper_Minesweeper.EN-GB.hex:i

the parameter -P will change according to where your Arduboy shows up (a COMx port on windows, /dev/cu.usbmodemXXXXX on OSX)

Replace /tmp/Puzzle_Minesweeper_Minesweeper.EN-GB.hex with whatever .hex file (don’t forget to keep the :i at the end

(Kevin) #47

There is a video guide here as well, be careful of the reset button it is delicate!

I was pretty close to not even having the reset button at all! Wow!

(Stephane Hockenhull) #48

Interesting. The META doesn’t offer schematics and threaten people with patent lawsuits … ( https://gamebuino.com/community/topic/schematics-layout )

I get the not releasing schematics part (fair enough) but the threats are too much to my taste. At first I thought “Fine, I’ll just figure it out” but reading further into the thread: naaaah.

Not sure I want to put that much effort and the net result would be them getting more hardware sales and not much for me, really.

Compare to the Arduboy where even if I could build my own clone since @bateske gave the schematics (and I literally have all the hardware already at home as my bills-paying job is to build & program custom devices & robots) I still bought an actual Arduboy for the nifty sturdy casing.

It’s a niche market and people in it are willing to pay for the quality. (next time please get a display with video-sync signal tho :wink: )

(Kea Oliver) #49

Ouch, that has honestly put me off the gameduino. I was considering purchasing one but that attitude… nah pass

(Stephane Hockenhull) #50

I know, right? And you can’t patent-lawsuit over reverse-engineering schematics anyway.

They can patent the physical form-and-function (as one) of the casing as it may be an novel idea, trademark the brand, copyright the bootloader & OS/menu. All of these can protect against exact clones/copies.

But they can’t use patent law against someone who just releases schematics.
And they can’t sue over a compatible device unless the firmware is pirated (At least in the US/Canada as far as I know. Plenty of legal precedents.) Their device is just a bunch of off-the-shelf parts put together (in a nice case), too simple for patent law to be used over this.

I’d still be open to paid work if they want a “killer app” to push sales. Business is business. But they set the tone to business so that’s what it’s gonna be. The device looks fun tho.

I’m getting completely Off-Topic but it was too preposterous to not comment on it :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jean Charles Lebeau) #51

Thanks for your answer, i understand and it’s true that the spirit of the Arduboy and of this forum is amazing. I’ll not launch a debat on the META as it’s totally out of the subject and it was not the spirit i was asking. I had just imagine how fine Starduino could be with colors :wink: and i would say that the both things i have seen from your works was amazing video of bad Apple and Starduino and i hope you’ll continue works like these creations :wink:

(Stephane Hockenhull) #52

I’ll keep doing stuff for sure :smiley: I try to do some random experiment release once a year or so.

(Ryszard Brzukała) #53

An amazing port of a great game!

I never thought that such a hit as Starfox could be made on Arduboy - and especially that I will see full 3D graphics on it. Currently my favorite game! At the moment, my score is 116339!

Thank you again and I am impatiently waiting for what you will surprise us in the future :slight_smile:

IMG_0953min