Stolen? 3d printed case

I designed a case months ago and someone sent me a link of a incredibly similar injection molded case:

I mean it could be a coincidence :sweat_smile: but it is kinda cool anyways

What cloud service did you upload it to? Did you put it up on Thingiverse or something?

What is it for?

If it was at all publicly available doesn’t surprise me too much if it’s for a specific purpose.

Thingiverse, it is for a sdr with a screen. And yes, it is intended to be copied :stuck_out_tongue: but it would be nice to hear from the one making it about the procedure to make the mold, etc

I can see they removed the @eried nick, trim a bit the lcd opening and enlarged 1 hole

1 Like

Cool! would be nice if they also gave you a couple of samples.

He sent me a couple :partying_face:

And details how much was the production… which was quite cheap! (around 4k USD for 4000 units including the molds and all).

I can see very rough toolmarks inside, but for that price is very acceptable. Also impressive that it was made with just the .stl files I published in thingiverse (not the source cad)

Nice you got some samples! wow 4K for 4K thats a very good deal.

That’s pretty incredible pricing the only way that makes sense to me is that’s an aluminum mold that will only last for a few thousand units. With a service like that you’d likely be paying for a new mold each time, so that the next production batch would still be $4k.

When you make a tool steel mold it’s usually somewhere between $10 and 20k and is capable of producing hundreds of thousands or millions of units.

Did they say whether you retain ownership of the molds in that service too?

Just for reference, the per unit cost of the plastic parts on Arduboy is only a few pennies.

It might be aluminium, but for most prototypes I guess few thousand units are fine.
But: there is not much assurance on these kind of deals, you would have to have a trip there to be sure :smiley:

Did he use some service on aliexpress? can you share?

He does not sell directly, but this is the item that included the case:

The aluminium mold would be great news :stuck_out_tongue: hahah because he copied the old version of the case which had some minor imperfections. I posted a slightly improved one weeks ago.

Oh I was wondering if he told you his source for the injection molding.

I got the case today. I am just blown away with the quality. It is funny to see the white case against my 3d prints :sweat_smile:

it has some details tho, inside I can see a lot of small scratches and patches (around the ejectors for example), which you dont usually find on commercial stuff like a radio.

1 Like

It’s probably not a huge surprise but the quality of the output is directly related to the amount of time they spend cleaning up the mold, or configuring the machine. It’s not complicated work but for cheaper stuff at some point it’s “good enough”.

Also with the softer molds of aluminum thats where you get those scratches and dings real easy.

1 Like