Team ARG disappeared- how to get their games?

@Mr.Blinky I made the sprites of mystic balloon prettier, and made all the level graphics for that game, but I remember there were some graphics already. Possibly by @Gaveno

1 Like

That’s an interesting point. I’m fine either way, and I think in any case the intention is clear enough. Just “zep” is fine.

@Mr.Blinky ah… of course that’s what it stands for. Thanks, that was bugging me!

4 Likes

OMG @zep on the Arduboy forums I better go post something over at pico8… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Or discuss future plans with @zep ? A creditcard sized pico8 console should be doable right? :smiley:

4 Likes

よろしくおねがいします、@zep さん。

First thing’s first, thank you for taking the time to get involved and help clear things up.

If I had to guess, probably ‘ArduBoy Encoder’.

I’ll put it on my to do list.

Presumably by “CC-NC-BY” you mean CC BY-NC 4.0?

(The versions have subtle but sometimes important differences.
More info here.)

If @Gaveno can confirm either way, that would also be helpful.

I can imagine hypothetical situations where this wouldn’t be clear cut and courts might side either way,
but fortunately we’re not dealing with hypotheticals or court cases and there are no confounding variables,
now that we have testimony from one of the authors that the original was indeed CC0,
it’s all quite straight-forward:

The version in the git history prior to the licence change is available under CC0 and the version published afterwards is available under MIT.
(Git history makes a lot of these licensing conundrums easier to resolve.)
The fact both of those versions are (more or less) identical saves us from having to worry about a situation in which code was introduced after the licensing change.

It’s technically allowed when the change accompanies the publishing of a new version of the code, but as long as the ‘public domain’ version is also still published*, having a ‘some rights reserved’ version is somewhat futile unless changes are made or new code is introduced.

(*Removing the public domain version so it’s no longer publicly accessible and thus no longer ‘published’ is the start of the road where things start to get complicated.)

Likewise I’m not a lawyer, but I’ve done quite a bit of reading into this sort of thing.

That raises another important question:
Did JO3RI actually change anything between being handed the code and publishing it on GitHub?

If not then technically Zep is the only author and thus the only one entitled to copyright (which has been effectively waived by publishing as CC0).
Otherwise, both are authors and both have effectively waived all copyright claims by publishing under CC0.
(‘Effectively waived’ because some jurisdictions don’t allow you to waive all copyrights.)

Not “more or less”; exactly identical. CC0 can only apply to cabi.c and README.md (and maybe the added .gitignore and cabi binary compiled for MAC).

The LICENSE file, containing the CC0 text, and a simple two line README.md, only, were added as the very first commit. cabi.c, only, was added as the second commit, 30 seconds later. cabi.c was never changed at all after this initial commit. README.md was changed a number of times but not after the LICENSE file was changed from CC0 to MIT. Changing the license, only, was the last commits made to the repository, 8 months after the previous commit with a change to README.md

So it’s really the “same difference”.

I get the feeling that Zep is the only author. (At least the only one claiming authorship.) The only mention of Team A.R.G. having a hand in it is in the copyright in the MIT version of LICENSE. Even if @JO3RI or some other Team A.R.G. member made changes, there was ever only one version of cabi.c published and that was (slightly) after the CC0 LICENSE file was published.

Anyway I plan on attributing authorship to Zep and saying he contributed it to Team A.R.G.

1 Like

Is it reasonable to open these up to enhancements and PR’s ?
For instance, I was just reviewing Virus LQP-79 that has bug fixes documented in these forums and the PR is trivial. Future updates may fix EEPROM management and improve compatibility with the FX chip, etc. … The code may just bit-rot as things move forwards and we keep the code locked.

Perhaps, but I’d have to spend some time thinking about the best way to do it.
There’s a lot of games and I don’t want to be suddenly inundated with more PRs and issues than a single person can handle.

I’d originally intended to just create a kind of time capsule - a museum rather than a renactment society,
but I’m open to either:

• Splitting the games into the ‘archived’ and ‘active’ versions
    • As long as either the PRs are few or there are other people to help maintain it
  • Starting a second organisation to handle the ‘active’ versions
    • Again, with other people pitching in
  • Other people just forking the archived versions, making the fixes and then taking responsibility for maintaining those forks
    • I specifically checked that forks of archived repos can be modified for precisely this reason - the code is never truly ‘locked’ as long as someone can fork it and edit the fork
1 Like

@Pharap, If you do decide to make some repositories ‘active’, I suggest you try to find and clone a repository with the Team A.R.G. complete commit history as a base, as we discussed recently in a PM topic. I don’t mind doing the work for this.

Great to see this stuff is being ARGhived to this day Virus LQP-79 remains a favourite.

1 Like

I’d be happy to help maintain Virus at least. Would be great to have the full commit history. The Museum has none?

No. @Pharap just downloaded the .zip file for the latest commit of each repository. He then uploaded the files to newly created repositories in the museum.

sure CC BY-NC 4.0

@Pharap Did you still have access to the manuals for these tools? They aren’t included in the Museum’s repositories.

If you mean the Team A.R.G. bitmap converter tools, see this post and the one that follows it:

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I downloaded the zips from GitHub and the tools themselves work, but each tool had a Manual page explaining how to name the files, dimension requirements, etc. It looks like those weren’t included in the repos.

There are alternatives All The Arduboy Image Converters

I personally think https://framagit.org/zeduckmaster/ardu-imconvert/-/tags is the best by @zeduckmaster

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Team ARG Tools hosted by Filmote

guys! the team arg website isn’t down! only the fron’t page doesn’t exist! the games can be fetched from here: http://www.team-arg.com/games.html

oh. they nuked the git repository…