Term Twirl - a Text Twist clone

For the greek letters, my reasoning was that a lot of these word show up with meanings of their own like “alpha wolf” and “gamma radiation”, and i wanted to keep them all in to stay consistent.

how you decide if something is ‘uncommon’ or worthy of an ‘exception’ for these cases.

So these are pretty much shaped by my own experiences, but of course it’s pretty American-centric.Thinking about it more, there’s stuff I left in like MESA and left out like LOCH because of where I live geographically.

As for exceptions, my rule of thumb is if it comes up in day-to-day parlance. For THOU, to me it was because of the phrase “Holier than thou”. It’s pretty arbitrary, but I felt that as a whole the divide was more consistent than frequency of use.

Funny enough, OXBOW is actually in both the north american and international tournament dictionaries.

So I kept the english letters in so that I can have ZEE/ZED and stay consistent, since those are the more commonly known Z- words.

Thanks so much for continuing to refine this fun and educational game!
Currently my favourite distraction! :smile:

2 Likes

THis is really good.

I had a puzzle with the letters JOINTS and a couple others. It accepted the word JOINTS but did not like JOIST.

1 Like

Ok, another update:

I rewrote DAWG packing and unpacking code. Before, it wasted about 4 bits per 3 bytes. The old byte order was Child Address (16 bits), Letter (5 bits), Control (2 bits), but since we only need to address ~ 6K nodes (13 bits), we were wasting 3 bits in the address and 1 bit in the letter/control byte.

The new packing method splits the address and letter/control fields into separate arrays of uint16 and uint8. I then separated the nodes into chunks of less than 2 ^ 12 meaning that addresses can now fit in 12 bits. This then allows every 3 uint16 to donate 4 bits to encode another uint16.

So, at the end of the day, we are now only wasting 1 bit (after control bits) every 24 bytes – with a little extra overhead; thus freeing about 10% of program memory. I was able to increase the number of level back from ~1300 to >1600.

2 Likes

I haven’t played Scrabble in ages, playing your word game happened to bring back good memories. It’s fun, I really enjoy playing it. Add to that what seems like your never-ending updates, I really respect the work you put into it. Awesome stuff!

2 Likes

Some of the letters do, but not all of them.
In particular I wouldn’t expect many people to know the obscure ones like omicron, mu and nu.

Alpha, beta, gamma, detla and omega find use in commonly known terms.
Iota finds (somewhat uncommon) use as ‘a very small quantity’ and pi turns up in maths of course,
but beyond that I expect most people won’t be familiar with any of the other letters.

(Other letters like sigma, phi and tau turn up in maths,
but probably only the level of maths taught at college/uni level,
not something I’d expect the man on the street to know.)

Coincidentally ‘mesa’ is one of the words I was thinking of.

I can say categorically that I didn’t know what a mesa was until college when I wanted to know what Black Mesa was after playing Portal 2.

I would certainly hope most British students would learn what a loch is at primary school, even if they aren’t Scottish.

I expect even a fair chunk of American children have heard of Loch Ness thanks to its mythical monster, though whether they’d know what a loch is would be a different matter.

Some of the other things I was thinking of are words like glen, dale, fjord, inlet…
They’re not particularly uncommon geographical features,
but I’m not sure how many people would know those words.
And yet lots of people would probably know what swamps, canyons and glaciers are.

At the very least we can say they are all words that are in use,
it’s just a question of whether that use is ‘common’.

That makes sense.

In which case I’d expect ‘thine’ (“to thine own self be true”) and ‘thee’ (“fare thee well”) as well.

Though that does pose the conundrum of whether ‘mickle’ and ‘muckle’ should be words, since “many a mickle makes a muckle”…
What a minefield.

1 Like

Ok, a few more (in Easy mode)…

SNACKS > But SNACK is not a word?
DEEPER > But PEERED is not a word? (But does take PEER).
SEVERE > Gives REY and REYS?
BILLED > Gives LEI?

Playing with family still makes me think you should removed letters of the alphabet, (ELL, etc.)… as no one gets these. Not sure whether having 2 ZEE words makes it worthwhile?
I feel most common Greek letters are fine (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Iota?, Pi, Phi?, Omega) due to frequent use in maths & science.

Actually, it looks like i misremembered and I left LOCH in.

The really uncommon ones i removed were stuff like: FEN, LEA, VELD, PAMPA, TARN, LINN, AIT, HOLM, FIRTH, WOLD, LLANO, GHYLL, SWARD…

2 Likes

SNACK/SNACKS, PEERED/DEEPER - yeah, i still need to go through the list of sixes to make sure it’s consistent.
SEVERE -> REV/REVS - i guess “Revving” a car is short for revolutions, or are you pointing out that the small V in the font looks like a Y?
LEI - that’s probably my American-ness again, the Hawaiian flower wreaths are very common here.

OK, you’ve convinced me to remove the letters.

1 Like

Ooopps… I mixed up V & Y… sorry, please ignore my earlier comment! :blush:

1 Like

Hi. From your recent Github changes:
list_easy_4.txt :
Removed EELS (animal) should it be ELLS ?
Removed EXES - plural noun of EX. (“He had many exes”).

Playing on “Easy”:
GOTTEN > Has NOG but doesn’t have TOG.
Suggest it has neither or both. Entirely personal preference is to have both, but for consistency agree they are uncommon.

Cheers.

Ooops, fixing.

hmm, TOG isn’t a word i even know.
NOG I know from “eggnog”, but it looks like per the dictionary, is obsolete on it’s own in the “ale” sense.

1 Like

Hey, few more… please tell me to stop reporting if it’s a pain(!?). :zipper_mouth_face:

In ‘Easy’ mode:
VOTING > has TIGON? (Very uncommon animal).
EXITED > TED not a word?
SEEMED > has EMES (no EME). (Uncommon word).
MEWING > no MEW, no WINGE. (These should be allowed).
IGUANA > has NUG? (Drug term?),
TATTLE > has ETA? (Uncommon greek letter).
HUDDLE > has DUH? (Exclamation?).

1 Like

Perhaps there’s a way you could make PRs for the word list/game to save @Corruptio a bit of time/effort?

Or just maintain your own list/fork?

Apparently an alternate name for ‘teddy boy’.

Are there even any left? I thought that trend died out decades ago.

Apparently the spelling without the ‘h’ is either classed as slang or archaic.

2 Likes

Nope, this is actually very useful. In fact, I’m going to incorporate this easy list into other word games I have :smiley: .

TIGON: i left in LIGER too

2 Likes

Sorry about TED and WINGE, please ignore.
In ‘Easy’:
TETHER > but not ETHER. (Both should be in easy IMHO)
NOGGIN - in Easy?..
PITTED > Has PED?
SHACKS > Has SKA and SKAS. (Bit obscure music style?)

If I create PR’s, which word list(s) should I raise changes against? I haven’t looked at what is being used to generate the files. Cheers.

1 Like

Cool!, yeah just modify the input_data/list_easy_*.txt files. These were hand-generated…

1 Like

Ether in easy?
You’re expecting children to know about organic chemical compounds?

Ska obscure? Blasphemy! :P

First PR sent :wink:

3 Likes