The arduboy tamagotchi thing!

(Aidan Plews) #1

For my computer engineering class I decided that for my culminating assignment I wanted to build a tamagotchi from scratch and Tonight I finished the first fully functional proto type. It’s meant to be a more short term casual style Virtual pet it will likely only stay alive for around ten minutes ( this choice was made because I don’t know how to save to the eeprom) I’ll release the code tomorrow but for now enjoy this video of the prototype in action https://youtu.be/u63W-3Sl8rM

(Aidan Plews) #2

PS. This was my first time ATTEMPTING to use protoboard and yes it is held together with tape

(Aidan Plews) #3

Got the case 3d printed hopefully I can finish this up today!

(Gavin Atkin) #4

Looks cool! Here’s the reference site for EEPROM https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/EEPROM
it’s generally best to use ‘update’ to write data since it will only write to EEPROM if the value to write is different saving it from unnecessary writes.

(Pharap) #5

Personally I think a better approach is to write a class/struct and then use get or put.
(put uses update under the hood.)

// Very simple implementation
// Real thing will probably be more complex
class Tamagotchi
{
private:
	int8_t hunger;
	int8_t happiness;
	// etc...

public:
	bool isHungry(void) const
	{
		return (this->hunger < 0);
	}

int8_t getHunger(void) const
	{
		return this->hunger;
	}

bool isHappy(void) const
	{
		return (this->happiness >= 0);
	}

int8_t getHappiness(void) const
	{
		return this->happiness;
	}

void feed(uint8_t amount)
	{
		this->hunger += amount;
		this->happiness += amount / 4;
	}

void playWith(uint8_t amount)
	{
		this->happiness += amount / 2;
	}

// etc...
};

class Game
{
private:
	Arduboy2 arduboy;
	Tamagotchi tamagotchi;
	// etc...

public:
	void setup(void)
	{
		arduboy.begin();
		// etc...
	}

void loop(void)
	{
		// etc...
	}

private:
	void save(void)
	{
		// etc...
		EEPROM.put(address, tamagotchi);
		// etc...
	}

void load(void)
	{
		// etc...
		EEPROM.get(address, tamagotchi);
		// etc...
	}
};

(Gavin Atkin) #6

That’s right, I forgot ‘put’ used update. That’s definitely the most straightforward approach then.

(Aidan Plews) #7

Long overdue update!
1st I lost the code…
2nd I never finished this
3rd I don’t really have any interest in finishing this…

(Pharap) #8

That’s why lots of people use GitHub - hard to lose code if it’s backed up on a server.

(Kevin) #9

Lol, honest update. Curious how come no interest to finish?

Just had enough fun with building it?

(Aidan Plews) #10

Fair point. Maybe I’ll look into it for backing up my work cause I have been doing a lot more coding recently. I’m sure I could find the code if I checked the school computers

(Aidan Plews) #11

I’ve grown a bit of a distaste for soldering (at least for now) and the game itself was rushed because it was for a school assignment. Part of what I wanted was to do it the actual size of a tamagotchi but I couldn’t do that in time cause the small screen I ordered took to long to ship so I had to scale it up alot