Tiny cracks in the Tetris Microcard acrylic

I have nothing like those cracks a few swirl marks and tiny scratches but nothing like you posted

2 Likes

Great to see it’s not an issue with all of them. Only my Arduboy has such clean molded inserts.

BTW I’ve added an image of the left side in my earlier post.

I checked my original arduboy and yeah, everything is clean.

I hope the next runs of arduboys can sort out this issue if it’s something that can be fixed on the manufacturing line.

Not sure what the percentage is…

I do not know really, I said ABS by mistake. I guess it is probably acrylic and not polycarbonate, nor transparent ABS.

http://www.unisteeltech.com/fasteners/threaded-inserts.html

I also learned something new, molding them in is only one way to do it. :smiley: so… your guessing could be right too.

1 Like

Yours looks flawless, maybe it is from a different batch?

I can see that the holes are not perfectly aligned, that is why I am thinking the issue is a new plastic mix, harder one, but brittler

Unfortunatly these cracks are on a large percentage of the second production batch of Microcard.

These threaded inserts are placed in the mold during the injection process. If we would have seen the cracks at this stage we would have caught it during quality control.

However the polycarbonate plastic we use for the front cover shrinks ever so slightly, about 1 to 2% after being molded, and it can take more than a month for this to happen.

So these units were assembled and we only started to discover this defect after opening up the packages. It’s been a decision to ship the units anyways as it would require scrapping an entire production batch and it’s only a minor defect.

That said, if you do have a problem with your unit in specific please use the contact form to reach out to us and we can try to resolve the issue.

The good news in all of it, is that we have been lucky knock on wood that this issue does not effect the Arduboy. As to a resolution? Well we actually don’t have current plans to produce any more Microcard so the only thing we can do is try to help people out on a one by one basis.

3 Likes

Sadly this does affect the arduboy. Large scratches and sometimes cracks appear after a day of use. I am planning to print a new front cover for my arduboy because of this. Could you possibly add a thin screen protector to new batches? Or add a solid color w/clear screen part option?

You’d have to be using it fairly aggressively for that to happen, and haven’t even seen any cracks to speak of. It’s all relative to how you use your technology. I’m way more careful with my cell phone than my arduboy and even it has a giant scratch on it after the first few weeks.

The new Arduboy packaging includes a scratch protector but it covers the whole device. You could cut it down to just the screen if you wanted. Other users have mentioned success in using screens intended for pebble smart watches.

We’re always looking for solutions but unfortunately for this issue where it happened after it was already packaged… a judgement call had to be made.

And again, if you do have one of these defect units and have an issue with it then let us know, we’re here to help!

1 Like

Alright, maybe it was a hyperbole. But I can’t stand having a whole bunch of scratches appear when I shine it in a light. There was this large one in on the screen and one I could feel at the bottom of the screen and plenty of even smaller faint scratches that appear when light is shown on them now.

And WHAT!?! A screen protector? Guess I got a earlier production because I just go a arduboy and a cable.

@bateske is referring to the clear sticky backed plastic wrap that all Arduboys including kickstarts shipped with

It does not. Look the pictures carefully, these are internal cracks. Can you post a photo of your cracks?

I have my units in a Ziploc bag… I think they are way tougher than you say they are.

3 Likes

The GuardFilm protector I put on mine is still holding up well.

Oh, you were talking about internal cracks? Whoops I thought you were talking about scratches on the outside.

Here are some images of my arduboy anyway with the annoying scratches that appeared on my screen after a day of putting it in my pocket or on top of my computer.

I use this (gameboy micro)

2 Likes
1 Like

Well even if I get a protective layer, the scratches will still be visible. Im going to continue with making a front cover model to print.

1 Like

Yes, make the replacement. It will be a good exercise. I am not sure how easy will be to make the buttons work smoothly, that is why I shared my buttons. It took me long time to get the Arduboy (c ) TM tactile perfection/ secret @bateske sauce .

For the scratches, I would use Novus scratch remover kit, in case they bug you much.

2 Likes

I got lots of extra filament to test my iterations, and measuring the holes should be easy by just getting measurements and doing basic maths in tinkercad custom shapes.

haha yes. Good luck :slight_smile: