Trouble uploading on Mac

I flashed this code into my arduboy using erwins arduboy flasher or something for windows. But my windows pc has fused recently so i cant use it. I only have two macs left and when i try to flash code to them, they return errors saying, ‘ser_close(): can’t reset attributes for device: Device not configured does not exist or your board is not connected’ Just if you were wondering i did try in flashlight mode only to get the same result

Oh and this is the full error dump if you want to analyse it:

avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Device not configured
avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: Device not configured
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: Device not configured
Found programmer: Id = ""; type = 
    Software Version = .; Hardware Version = .
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: leave prog mode
avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: exit bootloader
avrdude: ser_close(): can't reset attributes for device: Device not configured
the selected serial port avrdude: ser_close(): can't reset attributes for device: Device not configured
 does not exist or your board is not connected

Hmm not really sure what the issue is. Are you able to flash anything to your device? e.g. a simple sketch from Arduino

@eried may be able to help if it is specific to his loader?

It might be a case of Bring your Arduboy back from the dead (burn bootloader)

It has not much to do with the loader itself :confused:

Just to be sure:

• Are you using the Arduino IDE?
    • If so, which version, and have you tried reinstalling it?
    • Is the serial port definitely correct?
  • How old is the Arduboy?

If your Arduboy is sufficiently old then it could be the bootloader fuse problem as @eried mentioned,
but better to rule out other problems first.

To answer James I was uploading a basically empty sketch without even importing any libraries. I had hoped this would reinstall the bootloader. I had also tried the bootloader

To answer Pharap, I reinstalled the latest Arduboy ide v1.8.10 which is the new 64bit version. I also tried the online one but it returned the ‘bad CPU error’. (had reinstalled the plugin too) And the serial port was correct. Oh and i bought my arduboy this year.

And to everybody who was kind enough to help me, I managed to get my PC working and using eried’s website and game loader i managed to upload Ardutosh so thanks. :slight_smile: But i still want to make my mac work so i will test the arduboy again later today. I will update you’ll if uploading from the mac works. Just a little info, i had recently used brew install to install avra and avrdude for learning assembly using my Arduino UNO so could that have anything to do with this?

1 Like

Are you saying it’s not working on your Mac? If so you probably updated Mac OS to the latest version recently right? I know many people are having issue on the latest MacOS because it doesn’t support 32 bit anymore.

1 Like

Right … happened to me when I updated my Mac. Don’t do it!

1 Like

Yeah I read about it and I am running the newest Catalina. But they said that the new Arduino Editor v1.8.10 should support 64 bit. Maybe it’s still a little buggy but anyway it don’t think this is because of the mac as I have used Macs before but this error I have never seen before. Anyways I just want to remind everybody I have not tested the Arduboy again after flashing Ardutosh on it.

The IDE does support 64Bit however the code they are using to flash the program to the Arduboy fails (I think this is AVRDude). You can compile a program in the Arduboy IDE and run it in the emulator so that shows it compiles.

1 Like

Thx for the info I’m thinking of just using the hex dump arduino editor may give me to flash the code using AVRDude in terminal

I’ve moved this into a new topic because it’s not actually a problem with @jhhoward’s flight simulator.

@therookiecoder:
For future reference, you can reply to more than one comment by either @-mentioning the person you want to respond to or quoting the block of text you’re replying to by highlighting it and pressing the ‘quote’ button that appears.