Unable to Upload game

Unfortunately this seems like a bug that effects OSX and the leonardo, and I haven’t seen any good specific fix for it.

If you haven’t already it might be worth restarting the machine and trying again.

I know in unbuntu there was some conflict with modemmanager but I’m not sure how to attack that from the OSX side, or even if that’s the real issue.

You might try the methods in this video:

Trollyfish has the flashlight mode, so if you hold down the up button while you turn the device it will put it into a kind of recovery mode. Try to upload then.

If it still doesn’t work you can press the reset button and then attempt the upload as well. When you press the reset button the Arduboy is in the bootloader for about 3 seconds and you can try the upload then.

If you have any access to a PC then you might try from there I’m pretty sure this is related to OSX unfortunately.

OMG!!! It worked, I put it on flashlight mode and clicked the upload button on the Sirene Master game. I’ve got it on my Arduboy now. Thank you, you guys are the best!!!

2 Likes

Is the problem with Trolly Fish? I’m now able to freely upload other games, I’m afraid to upload the Trolly Fish.

It’s kind of complicated to say, but basically some games run in such a way that they don’t like to be reset. They need to be reset in order to be reprogrammed.

Using flashlight mode prevents the game from running, from doing the thing that prevents it from being reset. So that’s what’s nice about flashlight mode is it makes it easier for it to be recovered.

If you are interested in the more complicated reason it’s because the system needs to have a bit in RAM set while the device resets for it to enter the bootloader. If the game somehow changes the value set it RAM before it resets, then the bootloader won’t run. The flashlight mode keeps the system in a tight loop, that doesn’t effect the system RAM, enabling a safer environment to be rebooted.

1 Like

After being able to change different games, I stopped at this BlackJack game and I’m unable to upload any further. I think its the cable issue. I am using the usb-c adapter to usb mini. I’m now not able to see it in. my port like before. Any suggestions?

There is a solution, on these games where the port doesn’t show up, you need to hold the DOWN button while turning on the device.

There is a general guide to trying to get things to work:

There are some games that the developers decided to remove the code for the USB port to appear as a serial port while the game is running. @filmote and @vampirics made the “Press Play on Tape” games and almost all of them do this. Which is probably the source of much frustration to many users after they buy the Arduboy and become frustrated with it. Thankfully you take the time to write in and ask questions but I think most people just give up and never look at it again. I’ve asked developers to clearly indicate on their game if this is the case but it’s up to them to implement this or not.

I think the problem lies that most developers are so used to doing these steps they forget that it’s not published anywhere easy for people to get to. I guess I’ll have to put the reset dance on the front page in a very obvious place in a troubleshooting guide.

Okay, so I’ve noticed, I have to keep holding down the DOWN button and upload the Sirene game. Other games won’t let me. Am I stuck with this game. I was able to switch easily before? This has been a new MacBook and transferred my Arduino files with it. Can anyone provide me link to other games “user-friendly” similar to Sirene? Please?
Thank you.

You aren’t stuck with the game, which “other games” are you talking about now?

If you refer to the reset dance article I linked above it will give you a fool-proof method of switching games.

Some will require the flashlight mode, you can usually tell if they do if the device shows up in the ports, but when you attempt to upload, the Arduboy resets but does not reprogram. If you are plug it in and no port shows up, holding down to reprogram is probably the way to go.

Unfortunately as of now there is no directory of games that require different programming methods which has been a customer service challenge of mine for some time.

If you aren’t interested in programming yourself you might consider pre-ordering an Arduboy FX as all of the games are pre-installed and do not require a computer to switch between them.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can pick up the mod-chip and upgrade your current device. If you don’t have a soldering iron but would still like to do the upgrade, it can be preformed by a local electronics repair store or a makerspace, or maybe just a friend who has one.

I tried that reset dance mode, it didn’t work. What work was holding down the Down button which allows me to see the Port: Arduino Leonardo and then while holding the Down button click on the Upload. When I do the Reset Dance , flashlight mode doesn’t show the Port: Arduino Leonardo and uploading creates a failed error. Now I’m unable to switch to other games besides Sirene. I have the Port: Arduino Leonardo selected but gives me an error when uploading something else. Enclosed copy of error.

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino Leonardo”

MYBL_AB:44:10: error: expected initializer before ‘up’
void set up()
^~
MYBL_AB:44:11: error: expected initializer before ‘up’
void set up()
^~
exit status 1
expected initializer before ‘up’

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

Well the issue you are having now is due to an error in the code, you should always read the error that is happening, and in this case it is highlighting the section of code with the problem.

This is an error in the code that happened because it looks like you typed several spaces in the middle of “setup()”.

If you delete those spaces it should work fine.

I’m sorry, I wouldn’t know anything about this program code. I’ve not studied this. What do I delete and why is happening on other games too?

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino Leonardo”

Sketch uses 22896 bytes (79%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 1677 bytes (65%) of dynamic memory, leaving 883 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.

avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
Found programmer: Id = “”; type =
Software Version = .; Hardware Version = .
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn’t
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: leave prog mode
avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: exit bootloader
avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: exit bootloader

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

I told you what to change:

Remove these spaces so that the text shows “setup()”, or if you’re totally confused, delete and re-download the game.

When you are getting the “programmer not responding” error, you should try the flashlight mode first, if that doesn’t work try holding down to upload.

I understand you might not be used to doing programming, but it is important to read the error message and determine why you are getting it.

You posted this set of errors before, and you were able to fix it with the flashlight mode, right? So that’s probably what I would try first.

What game is currently loaded on the Arduboy now that you are having problems switching away from?

It sounds like you’re having a tough time. If you really feel like this is too much trouble then you can let me know, if you don’t know anyone who could help you install the mod-chip, if you mail me your Arduboy I’ll mod it for you for free and send it back.

I would appreciate it if you could modify it for me. I’d like to add the FX chip. If you’re not a representative of Arduboy and do not have the chip, I can purchase it first and mail you both my Arduboy and the FX chip. I have already pre-orded the Arduboy with the FX chip inside but I plan to give that to my kids and I keep the more complicated one. Could you be able to do that for me? Thank you.

I’m hoping you can help me by me sending you my Arduboy because, 1st) I don’t have the website where I found that game and 2) I don’t have anyone to help me with install this mod-chip. I really appreciate this. Thank you kindly sir.

Send me an email from arduboy.com/contact and I’ll help you from there.

On every game I have clearly specified it in the forum listing and have included the ability to drop to the bootloader by holding the ‘Down’ arrow. This will of course become a non-problem with the FX.

Hate to be a stinker but it is missing from Blackjack per my eyes:

Mmm … but it does have the bootloader trick.

Edit: I update the original Blackjack post but I guess its too late for the OP.

Ya thankfully it doesn’t brick the thing thank you for that :smiley: