Using a 3.6v 1309 ssd screen running on 5v

Hi,
I have been using arduboy with small oled screen for a while. I am using the 5v Pro Micro. I am wanting to move up to the 1309ssd. I have been doing some experiments and it is working with the home made package. However, I am aware of the fact that I am cooking the screen as it is rated at 3.6v. Has anyone actually had a screen burn out on them when running it from a 5v Pro Micro? Is there an easy work around?

Been playing with this-

Thanks.

PS. I have been looking for previous posts on this, so please feel free to point me at one I have missed.

I’ve used them fine at 5 volts. I’ve tested these types of OLED they usually fail at 6 volts which is usually not enough of a safety margin for most applications. You can get a voltage regulator if you are worried about it but I wouldn’t say it’s necessary.

1 Like

Next topic for noob help :slight_smile:
I have been informed that when using the 1309 screen I would need to alter the code on the fly to get games to run with this display. Does this just mean making some changes to the sketch / code in the IDE prior to loading it onto the Arduboy. I am using the fantastic DIY package from Mr. Blinky with a 5v pro micro - standard wiring.

Thanks

When you upload a game through the Arduino IDE with the Homemade Package installed, just select the SSD1309 instead of SSD1306 for the display setting on the tools menu.

For uploading an existing hex file. you can use one of my python utilities

• uploader.py - before using it rename it to uploader-1309.py so it will apply the display patch before uploading.

• uploader-gui.py - this is a GUI version that may be easier to use. Make sure you check the ‘Apply SSD1309 display patch’ option from the options menu before uploading a hex file

These python scripts require python3 with Pyserial to be installed.

For Windows there is also a ‘portable’ version that does not require any installation. Download this zip file and unzip it somewhere. To run the Uploader GUI tool, double click the run-uploader-gui-windows.bat batch file. Don’t forget to check the ‘Apply SSD1309 display patch’ option from the options menu before uploading a hex file.

(All these scripts apply the patch on the fly before uploading and do not modify the original hex files)

Once again thanks. The only way I upload games to the diy Arduboy is via the IDE. So this means that the games should all work as I am using the Homemade Package. I will do a fresh download of the game code as some of the games have sat in my hard drive for a couple of years and it may be that there has been an update?!?!?!? I found this was the case for one of the games I was running on the 1306 small screen.

Have a great weekend.

I have built up on breadboard a DIY arduboy to test out different types of screen. I purchased a collection of different ones from various sources to play with. I have used male / female jump wires to connect the screens to the breadboard. Everything works great with the smaller screens 1306. However, when trying the 1309 things start off fine in a game. The title screen is great and the first game play screen is fine but as I move to the right the image breaks up with horizontal parts of the image moving up and down from where they should be. I am using the DIY package produced by Mr.Blinky with the correct screens selected. Along with other experiments I have to perform tomorrow I am going try soldering the 1309 screen into a PCB as I am thinking it is possibly due to the use of the jump wires rather than soldered joints. What do you think? Castle Boy is the game I have been using to test the screen.

Then there is no issue with The Homemade package.

That’s the most likely case. The SSD1309 displays draw more power so a poor connection is more likely to fail.

To reduce power consumption of a SSD1309 display you can set a lower contrast in Arduino IDE tools menu.

Thanks. Will solder things up tomorrow.

Been having fun making a much smaller DIY board comprising of two pcbs joined in a sandwich arrangement. Learning all the time. Thanks.
Got the production processes sorted now for engraving and drilling the pcbs. Kids are all trained up on 3D printing and laser cutting. Hoping for some more compact and creative designs this year. Got one kid who is doing a steam punk type design to sit on a desk with a little magnifying glass held over the screen. Think 12 Monkeys (the movie).
Should be being used in more schools.