VGA1306 (VGA-out for DIY Arduboys implemented on an FPGA!)

(SkyBlue) #143

hi guys. first of all, @uXe: thank you for your work and share it with all of us.

I have bought the same FPGA board as @Mpiazza and I have downloaded the source code for the DMG from your github but I am newbie.

I have Quartus Prime Lite installed and I have working the board with some examples (blinking led…) but I don’t know how I have to modify your source code to get it working in this board.

I figure out that I should reassign pins in the .pcf file and change the CLK speed but because this board run at 48Mhz but I don’t know how exactly do that.

If you guys could help me I would be very grateful.

@skyblue - will PM you!

Hi all !
Hi uXe, congrats for your work !!!
Just tested DMG VGA and all works fine.:smile:

One question : witch ohm value do you use for output.
I use 100R for HSYNC and VSYNC and 500R for RGB.
Now I need to find a working Game Boy, this one have bad cartridge connector and the other one is my old made in Japan Game Boy :heart_eyes:
After that I’ll try to add second RGB bits for expanding palette and use grey values.

Looking good :slight_smile:

I used 82.5Ω for H/V sync and 270Ω for RGB - what is the FPGA board you are using?

It’s a cheap EP2C5 board : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/ALTERA-FPGA-Cyslonell-EP2C5T144-Minimum-System-Learning-Board-Development-Board/263454705863?hash=item3d571fc8c7:g:yMwAAOSwMGVaZyr9:rk:48:pf:0
Minimal board but really cheap and a lot of I/O :yum:

Continuing the discussion from Arduino Gameboy Cartridge?:

…couldn’t help myself from having a go at this! I’ve stitched together the PicoRV32 RISC-V core with my VGA1306 FPGA code, and the experimental result is the RISC-V core running a (also stitched together) version of the Adafruit SSD1306 demo sketch that outputs directly to the VGA1306 OLED emulation - all self-contained within the FPGA!

Would need an FPGA with better specs to start running Arduboy games - the core is limited to 6656 bytes of ‘PROGMEM’ as it now stands… but the potential is there! :upside_down_face:

(Christopher Caswell) #149

Any chance for an arduboy core on the mister platfom? https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

(Josh Goebel) #150

Seems like it’d be plenty fast enough.

(Christopher Caswell) #151

Yeah it would be nice to see it on the big screen.

Definitely achievable, and I am keen to dive into MiSTer, but unless someone wants to donate a DE10-nano it is going to have to wait until I have the money to ‘spare’ :money_with_wings: :moneybag:

(Christopher Caswell) #153

Ill ask some people. Do you exactly how much money you would need to get one to Australia?

There’s a seller in Australia with free postage - but the board itself is around $200 USD… steep! :tired_face:

(Elliot Goofe) #155

Hey all!

I have been working with Kitschbent to produce a tutorial video on setting up the Easy_VGA board.

Big thanks to uXe first off!!!

So as I was installing the mod, I decided to make an enclosure for it to protect the PCB. I have designed a case that houses the board and a GB link port to plug a link cable between the Gameboy and the board. Thus making the mod a bit more tidy and removeable for regular gameplay on the go.

I also had my own take at a consolizer top. I just saw someone earlier printed their own as well. Nice work!

I’m finishing up the video currently, and hope to have it out early next month. I didn’t expect to work on this for so long, but having purchased a few 3d printers this winter made things drag on. Also, I had issues with longer cables doing it this way, so I have been testing out shorter VGA cables, and tried shortening the GB link cable, which helped significantly with the video signals.

I can say from messing with this board now, that it is quite a nice design! I will post the video here when it’s complete.

I am very interested in this composite version in the works!

(Christopher Caswell) #156

Try

https://www.digikey.com/classic/ordering/internatlshiprates.aspx?site=us

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/terasic-inc/P0496/P0496-ND/6817231

I might not be able to help right now. I asked around and I didnt really get any responses. Check out the facebook group.

(Pharap) split this topic #157

16 posts were split to a new topic: NES Controller / GameBoy Button Translation

(Christopher Caswell) #158

Did you check digikey? It said free shipping

(Shawn) #159

I think the free shipping for Digikey is for a minimum order value of $100.

(Christopher Caswell) #160

Its $130 on digikey so I guess that would be over.

(Christopher Caswell) #161

How do I send you a private message uXe?

I’ll send you one :slight_smile: