Think about it, how cool would it be to pick up your Arduboy, press any button and a random game would play?
How cool would it be?
- 5 Cool: I like it a lot! I also only play the Arduboy in short bursts, find programming to be annoying, and like to try new games
- 4 Sure: But I’m not sold on the random game idea
- 3 Medium: I have no strong feelings one way or the other
- 2 Eh: Don’t mess with it, it’s fine
- 1 No: This is clearly a bad idea for too many reasons to count
No power switch, and all the games automatically go back to sleep if you are idle. So you can just pick up and put down an Arduboy whenever you feel like a distraction for 30 seconds, but you don’t even want to bother selecting a game because there are so many good ones. This would be from some curated list like the Purplecart.
This is just an idea, the games would need to be modified to have the auto-sleep code. But I’m actually thinking into the future where maybe they already have to be rebuilt for the SAMD51. So this idea is kinda based on the theory you’d have plenty of extra code space available.
Just purely a UX thing. Because, I think usually when I actually play the Arduboy I’m just bored as heck and I don’t know what else to do, and I see it on the table or whatever so I play it for 15 seconds to 1 or 2 minutes. If you remove the time it takes to turn on and off the console, that saves you the time and the mental energy of worrying about it. If you get a random game each time, you are constantly provided with a fresh and unexpected gaming experience, which in most cases is WHY I’m playing the Arduboy in the first place instead of something on my gaming PC or mobile.