What is different between dev kit and retail arduboy?

What is different between dev kit and retail arduboy?
Can I use retail arduboy to develop games?

For sure! All Arduboy units feature the same ability to create and play the same games. The hardware on the developer kit is 100% compatible with the kickstarter version, but without as many features (the case and rechargeable battery) so we can produce and ship it earlier.

2 Likes

Got it! Thanks! Can’t wait to get my KS reward

The retail version has a rechargeable battery? Nice! I had no idea. I remember when you first started out how the components were sitting inside the pcb material to make it super thin. Love that idea.

Mike

So the Kickstarter version isn’t going to have an RGB LED anymore? And it won’t have the speaker (properly) connected between two pins? And it won’t have PWM capability on the speaker?

I’d say those are a few other differences beyond just a case and battery.

Be mindful that rhetorical questions can sometimes sound aggressive (for me, at least). But to give you an answer, a later version of the Dev kit might include the features you mentioned but it certainly will not include the case and the rechargeable battery.

As @MLXXXp noted yes we are adding an RGB led and a few other small differences. But for mostly practical purposes it’s the same bag of tricks.

@miker to your comment, I’m going to soon release the design files for the original prototype that included mid-mounting all the components inside the pcb. I want to run a contest for that, but more news later!

I’ll be receiving my dev kit soon and what I was wondering is: does it only run on a battery or can it be powered through USB?

Yes, the dev units can be powered by either a battery or a USB connection. : )

When you power a dev kit from 5V USB, are the power and signal lines to the display kept below the maximum safe 3.3V?

1 Like

That’s a question for my multimeter? Do you happen to know the answer? Otherwise @bateske may have the answer. Do you have the spec sheet you are referring to? Are you talking about blowing fuses?

It’s 5v signal lines and we have never had any problems. @MLXXXp please provide physical evidence this is an issue. How many oled displays have you tested before? Becaue I’m up to about 500 units now.

I appreciate the input and the support but Ive addressed this number of times and I’m growing tired of what is effectively turning into saber rattling.

Hi Kevin, I think the concern around designing to Supplier’s spec’s is perhaps representative of the wider community here(?)… e.g. Arduboy Kickstarter version design discussion
We all love Arduboy, and excited for it’s mass consumption :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I apologise. This is the first time I’ve discussed this in terms of the Dev Kit and honestly was looking for an answer. I don’t personally have a Dev Kit and, to my knowledge, you’ve never published the schematics for it. Please believe me when I say I wasn’t trying to be antagonistic (at least in this case).

I have no physical evidence that overdriving the display will cause damage to it, as I’ve always followed the manufacturer’s guidelines and don’t feel I can afford the possible loss of a display, or the shortening of its life, from experimenting with out of spec operation.

I can only go by the specifications in the datasheet, which states in Table 11-1 : Maximum Ratings

• Vdd (Supply voltage): -0.3V to +4V
  • Vin (Input voltage): Vss-0.3V to Vdd+0.3V

and also the statement immediately following Table 11.1

Maximum ratings are those values beyond which damages to the device may occur. Functional operation should be restricted to the limits in the Electrical Characteristics tables or Pin Description section

Again, I’m sorry if I’ve upset you or anyone else and will try to refrain from discussing display voltages and processor clock speeds in the future.

1 Like

@MLXXXp, you have some of the highest quality posts on the board, that’s really all that needs to be said about that!

As far as running the display at a higher voltage, it’s kind of surprising what you can find out if you just call a manufacturer. There can be a number of reasons a component has a particular rating lined out in a datasheet, sometimes none of them reflect operation and only, say, getting a unit into a particular market. So… it’s probably worth calling them and seeing what information they have on the subject; could turn out its a non-issue even by the manufacturers stand-point.

I think the critical operator in what the data sheet says is “may” occur. But they don’t, so we’re cool. Arduboy lives dangerously. We aren’t exactly making medical equipment here.

Keep in mind I’m not running a boost converter anyways so our system voltage is between 3.8 and 4.2 and not 5 anyways.

I’ll publish some videos of running the system between 2.8 and 12 volts we can see where the magic blue smoke comes into play. :smile:

I was a little cranky yesterday but I want to reiterate I do appreciate the input but frankly I can’t see the need for a level converter here. Other than to conform to specification that has yet to be an issue.

If we were to build the power systems to provide the correct voltages as per the data sheets I would be adding more than a dozen components to the board that continuous testing over the last 2 years indicates is uncesscary.

We have left several units powered on continuously for months on end with no problems. If your afraid to break a few rules you’ll never do anything exciting.

2 Likes

Understood :grinning:
As long as your backers and customers are made aware of the rules you’re breaking and are willing to take those risks along with you.

1 Like

I think so, and also we support our product so if anyone has a problem we will do our very best to fix it!

1 Like