What setups do you guys have?

I recently made the mistake of going onto the Apple website which really made me want to buy another setup, then finally got past the shininess and remembered how Windows is infinitely a better OS, then started looking at Windows setups and I got all up into that rabbit hole. Truthfully there doesn’t seem to be very powerful laptops because the most you’re going to get is a p-series core-i7 with the horrible integrated intel iris xe gpu which can barely do much. Maybe I just have high standards but a good graphics card is a must if you’re going to do stuff like Unreal Engine, Blender etc. The XPS 15 seems pretty good but it’s way too expensive. Anyway, then I thought about what setups you guys and I figured why not ask since I’m already in this whole mini-phase.

I personally use a base model M1 MacBook Air which is nice, but I prefer Windows because of compatibility and support (aint nobody going to make good apps for MacOS).

Weird question I know, but I’m curious.

I have both Windows and MacOS but prefer the Mac actually. Possibly because it has the better processor (and will have for a few more years I suspect), possibly because its just nice equipment but definitely because they simply last longer for me.

I get a high spec Lenovo running Windows ever 2 years from work and i feel after a year or so, I want to strip it down and reload the OS. It seems to be just the bloat-ware that all the Windows software guys produce. You do not seem to get that degradation of performance with MacOS.

However, the MacOS is really frustrating when you are trying to do things like setup Python as you have found out. Being Linux, it already comes with a raft of these libraries that are either not up to date or hidden in the bowels of the file system. Is this a Mac thing or a Linux thing? I don’t know.

2 Likes

I suppose MacOS is quite nice and snappy, but I prefer the extra compatibility (apps) which Windows provides because it seems close to no one wants to make apps for MacOS. My school (believe it or not) has rgb gaming pcs with IIRC an intel core-i5 and 32gbs of ram and it was very snappy and fast for me, though that may just be because I’m used to my laptop’s speed. And yes, it is a private school (those pcs are where our money is going unfortunately) but no gpu on them as of yet so it’s just using the igpu from the intel chip. Apparently, we are going to learn how to edit videos with all the fancy Adobe stuff so these (pcs) are necessary but seems like a useless unit if you ask me. I think they said they’re going to try to get a Nvidia or something gpu (I can’t be bothered to remember the names of all these things). As far as file navigation, I don’t find MacOS difficult, I’m fairly used to all the hidden bits and depths of the file navigation, but I suppose sometimes it can get a little difficult or complicated.

I just built a new computer and it has windows 11 it is weird but actually I kind of like it.

My current laptop has Win 11 as well. Its not bad, I agree. But its merely an evolution of Win 10, not a revolution. Windows and MacOS are visually getting more similar to each other each update.

It’s weird that it’s got a linux command line in it now I’m wondering if I’ll ever make use of that or run ubuntu on top of it or something like that.

I just picked up a new keyboard I’m enjoying the keychron k1 se. I’m not so sure about the low profile but I’ve got brown switches on it and it’s easily the best typing keyboard I’ve used except perhaps old school IBMs.

I have used WSL for a few things but my impression is that it isn’t a full blown Linux instance. It is deployed as a lightweight VM that starts and stops as needed.

Like this? These things from the 80s are bloody heavy but insanely reliable and strong. They have a really nice tactile click and feedback.

i7 4770k, GTX 770, Windows 8.1

My computer must be roughly a decade old now.

Python’s only marginally more manageable on Windows, and only because they release a ‘portable’ version for Windows.

One of the big reasons I prefer Lua is because I can just dump it on a USB stick and it’ll work standalone without needing to ingrain itself into the system like Python seems to always want to. (Lua’s syntax is nicer too. No silly meaningful whitespace, it has a proper end token.)

You are well and truly spoilt.

Not all of it. I’m sure the staff room has a very nice, very expensive coffee machine.

As far as I’m aware it’s only Nvidia and AMD that make desktop GPUs. There used to be others (e.g. ATI, 3dfx), but they either went, got bought out by the other two, or both.

I miss those old cream keyboards.

If I could afford it I’d be tempted to get something like this:

But then I suppose I’d be too worried about messing it up to actually use it.

Just to throw it out there, once upon a time this was a thing:

1 Like

The windows deployment begs the trope that “what people know as linux is really gnu” as what would make it a “fully blown linux instance” is basically installing all of the “helper programs” that make linux what it “is”. But yeah I was watching some tutorials about how to bring up ubuntu desktop vm as what is otherwise a normal windows program seems pretty easy.

Yes if you’ve never typed on a buckling spring keyboard it’s clearly the way it was meant to be.

Oh are we listing specs? I got the new 13700 and a used 3080, hoping to upgrade to 4090 after the kickstarter ships :wink: I went with 32 gigs of ddr5 and hopefully this pc will last me another 6 years like my last one did (7700 and 1080ti)

You got me there … that’s my biggest gripe about Python, oh and the stupid ability to ignore declared parameters to a function and send them within a dictionary, like this below. What if your dictionary doesn’t have the right contents? Its just stupid.

def myfunc(name, gender, age):
    print (name," is a ", gender, " of age ", age)

mydict = {'name': "Simon", 'gender': "male", 'age': "20"}

myfunc(**mydict)

Yep. Unfortunately most are PS/2 and don’t necessarily work properly with new equipment. Especially with my Mac!

Six years is a life time in PCs. That’s a good innings for a PC and shows that anything you spend up front simply extends the life of the machine. Buy as much as you can afford up front!

Sorry way off track there.

You can’t get off track, this is off topic.

To be honest I was feeling guilty about making the purchase, as my old computer still works “fine”.

Fusion 360 is much more snappy, and the renders are at least 2x faster if not more but other than that I can’t say I notice a massive difference (outside of gaming).

This is my first system with any RGB on it lol, but I kinda like this view.

2 Likes

That looks like a beast.

If you ever have to do massive Excel spreadsheets, you would notice the difference between an average and a great machine!

That’s why I need the super ultrawide!

2 Likes

Its like watching tennis, you can get whiplash turning from end to end.

1 Like

An error I would presume/hope.

Lua has its own share of weird quirks, like tables being 1-indexed instead of 0-indexed and tables being a hybrid of arrays and dictionaries, but I find it a lot easier to work with, and it’s certainly a lot easier to learn because there’s less to it.

-- Technically you only need the 'local's if you want to
-- avoid polluting the global namespace.
local function functionA(name, sex, age)
	print(name, " is ", sex, " and ", age, " years old")
end

local function functionB(person)
	print(person.name, " is ", person.sex, " and ", person.age, " years old")
end

-- Note: Definitely no lies in this description. Especially not the age.
local first = { "Simon", "male", 20 }

functionA(table.unpack(first))

local second = { name = 'Simon', sex = 'male', age = 20 }

functionB(second)

-- Alternatively, you can do this:
functionB { name = 'Simon', sex = 'male', age = 20 }

Most of the time I use it for command line scripting because it’s far more sensible than Batch. It’s nice to be able to just write download_videos { 'url1', 'url2', 'url3' } and have the download_videos function hide all the command line switches.

Adaptors do exist, though how well they work I can’t say.

I reiterate:

Isn’t that why databases were invented?

If that were balanced on my desk I’d probably need to duck under it to leave the room.

Yeah I don’t easily have a spot for it right now, I’m hoping to be moving to a larger place soon that will give me my own gaming/software office

Tons of gaming motherboards have ps2 ports, gamers like them as they don’t have any input lag and higher possible polling rates and also true nkey rollover support. I actually found it kind of difficult to find one without it.

I prefer to work on macOS and have apple devices since ever. Also have all apps that I need and rather have the opposite problem on windows.

On the other hand for gaming I’ve built a windows PC. It’s great for entertainment but I really don’t like working on it.

Ahh … but like everything, a runtime error not compile time.

So even that example has the same problems as Python to me. Would it even compile? If so, its just asking for problems.

Copyright concerns aside.

They do … but my initial experience (many, many years ago) was less than positive although I cannot remember the details.

Oh, yeah … my comment included you :slight_smile: Faaaark. it surprising it fires up!

Do they? I have never bought a gaming PC.

1 Like

Does Python even have a ‘compile time’?

I was under the impression most of these dynamic languages were designed to be theoretically interpreted (and only in practice compiled to bytecode), and thus don’t do any compile-time semantic analysis (only syntax analysis).

Either way, runtime errors are standard fare for dynamic languages.

What makes dynamic languages quick to write - lack of compile time checks - is also what makes them dangerous and hard to debug.

I find it odd that you picked on that part and not the other.

It’s roughly equivalent to the following C# code:

void functionB(Dictionary<string, object> person)
{
	Console.WriteLine("{0} is {1} and {2} years old", person["name"], person["sex"], person["age"]);
}

Except that instead of raising an error on a missing key, Lua would just print nil (its equivalent of null). The idea being that if you want to check for a missing key you’d do if object.key == nil then to handle missing keys however you want - whether you want to throw an error or use a default value.

The other one that does the unpacking is closer to the Python example you gave.

Or was your complaint less about the fact dictionaries (or hash tables or whatever Python calls them) might be missing entries?

If so, again that’s more a problem with dynamically typed languages in general. Most have their objects behave as dictionaries.

I’ve only ever come across one or two exceptions. (Offhand the only one I can think of is Wren, which I believe does actually use offsets into an actual block of bytes, though I’m not actually sure if it’s dynamically typed or statically typed.)

My scripts aren’t a copyright problem, but what I’m downloading with them might be.

Let’s just pretend that I’m only downloading videos that are released under a creative commons licence, because that’s definitely a thing people do…

The hard drive’s getting a bit slow and I really ought to clean the dust out, but it runs just fine.

I approve of this greatly.

(Also, I love the irony of mentioning copyright and then posting an image to which you don’t have the copyright. The dissonance between what’s the legality is and what people actually do is an amusing conundrum.)

Mine doesn’t.

(Looking that up was handy: I’d completely forgot that I’ve got another half a dozen USB ports around the back.)