Which IDE/text editor do you use to write your Arduboy code?

I spend most of my time in Arduino when I do code, but that’s pretty rare these days :sheep:

When I coded more, I used Notepad++ and then compiled with Arduino, although I think there is a plugin where you can pipe it in automatically.

1 Like

Finally, a kindred spirit!

I did find one, but it requires the user to manually state the COM port.

1 Like

I use the Arduino IDE, but I really like Sublime Text. At work, my co-worker keeps trying to get me to switch to VS Code for debugging purposes…

1 Like

I’m using Arduino IDE and Notepad++ on Windows. you can keep them side by side easely if you want by pressing WindowsKey+LeftArrow in one window and WindowsKey+Right in the other (works for any program)

1 Like

I just use the Arduino ide on mac. The only thing I wish I had on it was like an autocomplete/suggestion when typing function names. Would be useful for the Arduboy library. I imagine there is a plugin or something for it, just been too busy to look into it.

3 Likes

If you find a way, please let me know.
It was once in development but they have never put it in the live version afaik.
That’s the main reason i use Atom with platformIO for coding and building on os x.

1 Like

I use PlatformIO with VS Code, super easy to setup and working insanely well, with all the features of a proper C++ IDE plus the library and board management of the Arduino IDE.

2 Likes

Arduino IDE worked fine to me with its (although troublesome) find and it being the native tool of doing anything Arduino.
I however will start to use Netbeans if I can (I need C++ library and Arduboy library)

After a while, I switched over to VS Code and haven’t looked back. I was tired of the Arduino IDE formatting my code to look ugly.

3 Likes

@crait do you use platform.io too or are you just using the editor and build with Arduino IDE?

1 Like

For reference, you can make the Arduino IDE use tabs, but you have to edit the settings file manually.

I keep meaning to make an issue on their Github repo, but there are so many issues that I suspect it would be forgotten about, even if I made a PR about it.

I knew about those options, but several formatting things are just too annoying to overlook. Plus, VS Code has the Alt+Click functionality that I have just gotten way too used to at work!

I use this:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=vsciot-vscode.vscode-arduino

2 Likes

What Alt+Click functionality?

Multiple cursors!! :slight_smile:

MayEK

4 Likes

Aparently Notepad++ has that too but I never knew until now.

For Notepad++ you have to go to Settings > Preferences and select Editing from the list, then it’s the checkbox under Multi-Editing Settings, but on my setup at least it’s Ctrl+Click rather than Alt+Click.

(I don’t think it can do the copy and paste thing though.)

I also just learned that it has this function list feature:

I really need to RTM some time.

1 Like

I am trying to think of when I might possibly use this feature … but cannot!

1 Like

Mass insertion of new lines to change K&R code to Allman style?

That’s not going to happen.

Is the ugly formatting of code by the Arduino IDE that @crait eludes bracket related? @Vampirics hasn’t said anything yet but I keep converting bits of code that I am touching in our joint project to make the braces ‘right’ … he keeps putting them back!

1 Like

Probably my fault.
I have infected him with my Allman styling.

1 Like

True, it seems I can read code easier in Allman style LOL

1 Like