Windows is getting a Linux Kernel

(Kevin) #1

This is almost in off-topic but not really as it applies to a lot of development in windows:

Normally don’t post news in the forum but this is pretty interesting! I’m excited about this a lot. I always found it a large barrier to installing gnu tools or bash utilities in windows, now that will all be a walk in the park.

This should also make android development easier I think.

6 Likes
(Erwin) #2

Bash works quite well in Windows 10 already. This supposedly will make it faster.

(Miloslav Číž) #3

If only there was a free and gratis OS that would make it easy to install them, maybe even have them by default :slight_smile:

Jokes aside, I come from a strictly free SW community at Diaspora and it recently exploded with these news. The prevailing opinion is that this is Microsoft’s attack – specifically their typical EEE kind of attack – on Linux and free SW. My personal opinion is this is a first sign of MS and proprietary systems starting to lose the long run and having to give in, obviously testing waters to later fully switch to Linux as a kernel. The truth is that the open-source brand starts suffering from the growing interest of the giant corporations – nowadays open-source regularly includes proprietary SW and no longer guarantees the freedoms that free SW is based on, so it’s becoming just another kind of Swiss-made commercial tag.

Only time will tell what this is about.

(Pharap) #4

I don’t think it’s going to do that. At least not any time soon.

They would have to rewrite so much of their existing ecosystem to make sure everything works that it would take a ridiculous amount of time and/or effort.

Microsoft hates breaking backwards compatibility,
and won’t do so if it can avoid doing so.
Windows can still read floppy disks and still supports GDI,
a drawing interface present in the original Windows,
despite introduction of GDI+ and Direct2D.

It’s almost certainly about Microsoft wanting Linux scripts and tools to be easier to run on Windows so they can make use of those scripts and tools, and to make developer’s lives easier.

(Miloslav Číž) #5

Well, the whole Microsft loves Linux, buying GitHub and stuff, open-sourcing a lot of their code, including Unix environment and now even the whole Linux under their OS… I don’t know, seems pretty obvious to me where this is headed :slight_smile: but don’t get me wrong, it would still be a proprietary system with their own layers on top, just like Android. Just the lowest layer would get a lot better and cheaper at the same time. It could even still feel like Windows to the end user.

Some backwards compatibility is required from them, but I don’t think they care so much – from what I’ve heard, old games don’t really run on their new OSes. In this regard, Wine arguably runs them, and even outperforms newest Windows. They could literally use Wine to solve most compatibility issues. The rest would cost them a tiny one time investment – a fraction of going in the direction of maintaining their current probably not-so-elegantly-written kernel and keeping reinventing the wheel over and over.

Me neither.

And I happened to have floppy disks AND is programming using GDI …

In this article, jack says,

It’s almost saying, “we released the Windows Subsystem for Linux for you to play around with.”
This article probably meant,
“We will give you the Windows Subsystem for Linux on a computer installed with custom-built Linux (by Microsoft) if you want to.”

As this says,

Which meant that the NT Kernel is here to stay.

That is also saying that the installation disk (or OEI) you are purchasing from Microsoft are not going to have any Linux in it. That is, unless it’s for Linux.

Personally I don’t really care as I barely know Linux. Nor will I devote time to check it out. (but maybe I will, maybe when I buy a new computer I will try it out, after I get my Windows 10 Pro OEI)

(Kevin) #7

Night night, this thread.

(Kevin) unlisted #8