WIP - Arduboy Simulator library for iPhone/iPad

Hi,

I have uploaded KyBoy (my basic arduboy simulator library) for iPhone/iPad and Apple TV on github.
It allow you to run your Arduboy project (based on arduboy2 library) on iPhone.

You need a mac & xcode :slight_smile:

A lot of function are still missing but my game ‘Diamonds - A breakout/puzzle game - 1st Kyuran game’ is already able to run with it. (soon available on the AppStore)

Feel free to contribute to improve it.

Library is available on github at https://github.com/redbug26/KyBoy

5 Likes

Can you post any kind of video of this in action, please? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Apple TV & gamepad support is added now :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may want to chat with @bateske about any possible trademark issues before putting too much energy into an IOS app as there was recently an issue with an Android app.

2 Likes

This probably doesn’t infringe a trademark since it’s a port of the Arduboy2 library (it’s an API simulator). Maybe just remove the bootlogo, if necessary?

2 Likes

The Arduboy name is a registered trademark and it needs to be used according to the official terms of use that will be published on our website soon.

I’ve spoken to nearly all of the content creators that are using the Arduboy trademark and will be asking that they include some notification that it is not an official use or supported by Arduboy, Inc.

4 Likes

I don’t simulate the boot logo :slight_smile:

As Felipe Manga said, KyBoy is not an application. It’s just a API that allow any iOS/iPhone application to embed a Arduboy compatible game.

It could be used

• to develop a Arduboy game quickly (as XCode is more powerful than the Arduino IDE)
  • to allow Arduboy developer to release their game in the AppStore

My Diamond game will be released in the AppStore as a port of my Arduboy version of the game.
The “Arduboy” trademark will not be used in the game and on the store.

4 Likes

Just to be sure, it might be worth adding a disclaimer somewhere saying “This library is not officially endorsed by Arduboy Inc.”.

It’s usually better to give an official disclaimer that you can point to, than to just not include something.

1 Like

Already added in the README file on github :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not even sure if my Arduboy2 library is officially endorsed by Arduboy Inc. :confused:

1 Like

Fair point.

And is it even ‘your’ library?

Edit:
I say that because if it isn’t official and it is ‘yours’,
then technically the Arduboy is either without an official library,
or there is an official one and it’s deprecated.

1 Like

Well, it’s a fork of the original Arduboy library that I’ve modified mostly myself, and only I currently can manipulate it on GitHub. I have however followed, as best as I can understand, the necessary requirements of the original licenses (mainly the BSD 3 clause).

To my knowledge, no one has proclaimed the original Arduboy library to be deprecated. It’s just that nobody has changed or maintained it (other than a few bug fixes by me) since I released Arduboy2.

From what I understood the reason for that was because access to the Arduboy github account has been lost, not because of the introduction of Arduboy2.

1 Like

The password to the account has been lost but @bateske, me, and a few others have admin or collaborator rights, and can still modify the Arduboy library repository. I made a fork because no one could agree on how to proceed with the Arduboy library, mainly to address the problem of taking over the timer interrupts for sound, which would break backwards compatibility.

My providing a separate, non-conflicting, Arduboy2 library allowed existing sketches to continue to use the existing Arduboy library, without breaking, then switch to Arduboy2 at their leisure if desired. Since there wasn’t any great disadvantage to using my library instead of the original, and many advantages, many new sketches started using it, to the point that it became the de facto, then recommended, library.

If you read the end of my announcement of Arduboy2, you’ll see (strike out added later) that I offered to make Arduboy2 “official”; hosted and maintained in the Arduboy account, but no one took me up on the offer after a long period, so I just decided to continue to maintain it under my own account, and publish it in the Arduino Library Manager at that location.

2 Likes

I wondering how we are allowed to use Arduboy trademark. I’m surprised to read @obono had to pull it’s utility. Because it’s named ‘Arduboy Utility’ (It’s back up again now under the name Arby utility)

Are we still allowed to show of the ARDUBOY logo in the non official (forked) libraries? or should we start using Star Plan like naming like ARDU BOY(two words) R-DUBOY, R-U-DA-BOY?

1 Like

The logo that I use in Arduboy2 is just copied, unchanged, from the Arduboy library. As I understand it, the BSD license used by the Arduboy library allows anyone to use it in their code, with the proper attributions.

Anyone distributing a “non-official” product that displays the logo, out of the box, could run into problems, at the trademark holder’s descretion.

Sounds like that would include every game that shows the boot logo. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was inferring a hardware product, such as an unofficial clone, that came with a pre-installed game that showed the logo. I would think that users installing a game themselves, especially on a real arduboy, would not have a problem. However, I am not a lawyer.

I don’t think the lawyers would care what kind of product it was. The Android utility didn’t use the logo (which actually is using EagleCAD vector font?) only the word mark ‘Arduboy’ in it’s name. Which is the trade mark and didn’t make the layers happy.

Maybe we need to add something like this to our readme’s for fair use policy?

Arduboy® is the registered trademark of Arduboy, Inc. this game/utility is not associated with, sponsored or endorsed by Arduboy, Inc.

I hope those terms will come online soon. So we can keep those lawyers happy.

1 Like