[WIP] - Arduwars

(Scott R) #42

Afaik there’s various translation patches available these days for anyone interested in playing through the series.

But if I had to pick one it would have to be Blackhole rising.

(Boti Kis) #43

Is somebody able to cram in basic sounds in 100-200 bytes? :see_no_evil:

(Pharap) #44

You can use bytebeat music.

Basically you have a t or time variable that acts as a counter, and then you use arithmetic and bitwise operators to process that variable and generate an output byte.

MiniRogue used a bit of bytebeat:

There’s a subreddit for it, with some various examples:

And there’s several places online for trying different tunes out, like this one:
http://wurstcaptures.untergrund.net/music/

(We also had a discussion about it over on the Pokitto forums.)

(Boti Kis) #45

how cool is that :open_mouth:

(Stephane C) #46

It is cool, but it’s not that easy to find a way to have it sound right. And it does get repetitive fast. But you never know, it might be worth a try.

(Boti Kis) #47

Do you have some experience and will to make smth cool for arduwars :see_no_evil:?

(Stephane C) #48

No promises but from what I saw when working on Mini rogue. It all comes down to play with a short equation, hence the repetitive factor getting old fast. To have an idea about the kind of sound it can do you can always have a go with Mini Rogue if you didn’t already.

You can always play with this to try to find a variation you may like:

http://wurstcaptures.untergrund.net/music/

(Stephane C) #49

For exemple, this:

t * ((t>>11|t>>9)&5&t>>7)

At a sampling of 8000, it sounds a little like a marching beat.

(Boti Kis) #50

This sounds amazing, combined with something harmonic from the bytebeat reddit list it is perfect. listen here
Now i will need to figure out how to play this. I still have no idea about sounds. :sweat_smile: But first i concentrate on finishing the game.

(Matt) #51

Not to be a downer, but I’d consider not adding music. People will play Arduwars for long periods of time, and the little bit of music you could fit would get repetitive. Soon pretty much everyone would turn the music off, so IMO, it’s not worth the effort.

(Boti Kis) #52

Good point, I partially agree. But first finish the game

(Stephane C) #53

Let’s see of you have any space to finish the game first. And see later if you can add bells and whistles…

(Holmes) #54

All this talk is making me excited to see it!!

(Kevin) #55

Wow, there are some really good game developments I missed! This looks like another solid candidate to take advantage of additional memory of an external flash chip!

(Boti Kis) #56

Oh yes. :grin:​​​​​​

(Pedro) #57

Arduwars is coming? :yum:

(Boti Kis) #58

Definitely, and you will be the first one to play it. :wink: