[WIP] Maze of Doom - 1 bit FPS

(Michael Gollnick) #61

That is a cool tradition.

(Miloslav Číž) #62

Then I deeply admire your knowledge of math and functional programming theory :slight_smile:

Definitely important and hugely used in games (I just used it in my MicroTD game as well). It’s good to read books for the details, but there are also many freely available resources on design patterns online, such as this famous GH repo.

( personal favorite pattern: visitor :slight_smile: )

(Pharap) #63

I didn’t do maths at college either. I absolutely hated maths because I never had a use for it.

Then I found a use for it, and now it’s a love-hate relationship.

To clarify, it’s freely available online in web format.
It’s also available as an e-book and a pdf.
Only the web version is free, the rest cost money.

The books are an optional way to support the author (and to avoid having to print them yourself if you’re the kind of person that prefers fancy books to scraps of printed paper).
I’d encourage people consider supporting him, it’s one of my favourite resources.

And just to keep you happy, I checked the licence, the source to build the book is part CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 and part MIT.

Double dispatch is indeed an interesting thing.
I have used the visitor pattern for trees.
The state and component patterns are probably my favourite, or at least the ones I end up using most.

(Miloslav Číž) #64

Definitely, I fully encourage this. But it’s not only to support the author, to me there is an added value to paper books, so it’s a win-win for everyone. I’m always very happy to see authors publish books like this.

I am :slight_smile: :heart:

I learned about it when using OpenSceneGraph (which is a DAG, similar to trees) – it’s a very nice use case to look at.

(cyril guichard) #65

So, the game we started is just not going to be happening - is there anyone that would be interested working with me on rebooting this? I already have a lot designed, however, I don’t have much time left, unfortunately, so I’d rather not restart something brand new :disappointed:

If not, I’ll just zip everything I have and open source it…

(Kevin) #67

Hey I’m super late to the party here but I wonder if this project would be a good candidate for some expanded flash memory?

@luxregina There are rumors of a new hardware coming out that will incorporate @Mr.Blinky flashcart concept.