[WIP] Pokemon Style World Engine

This is my Pokemon style walking and world engine I’ve been working on since finishing RoboDodge. The rooms are stored as a series of commands instead of just arrays which can sometimes save over a hundred bytes per room. I haven’t decided if I’ll do a battle system like Pokemon or something else.

10 Likes

Looks great! How much memory are you using right now?

I don’t have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe RAM usage was about 51% (though tile array is allocated dynamically based on room size) and I think about 19,000 bytes of ROM used. Next time I get a chance to work on it I’ll report actual numbers. I still have a ways to go to get it anywhere near your level, Siegfried. But it’s coming along. I’ll upload photos later of the image/animation converter and room editor I made to put this together. I’m pretty into creating tools, so that’s where the majority of this work has gone.

Sounds good :smile:
I made some tools too though they’re just a bunch of HTML pages that convert specific images that are in the same folder (my super basic level editor doesn’t even have a save to file function ^^’).

I finally finished loading in the editor. This is what my room editor currently looks like. I’ve been building it in GameMaker Studio.

4 Likes

Would love to see some more information on how that is implemented. Neat demo.

1 Like