I been working on this 13 days ago. I decided to share it today since I’m very far in this game. It’s not done since I have about 3000 bytes to fill.
When I started thinking about making this game. I had a thought to use 16x12 tiles since I can fit 5 tiles vertically instead of 4. Then I realized that it can only accept tiles by 8. So the tiles are 16x16 in ROM, but get overlapped giving me 8x5 visible tiles while 15 of them are off screen vertically. But I got the visual I wanted.
Recently, I tried to load the tileset to RAM and have the routine write those tiles from RAM to screen, so I can change part of the tile set. Such as if I want different walls, as you decend down to the depth of the dungeon. Didn’t work, but I’ll try it again when I get the hang of programming this hardware. The maps data are packed 2 tiles per bytes, with 160 tiles per floor. There’s 13 different floors. I’ve have a lot to learn about this hardware.
There are some bugs like you can pick an — item in battle, which does nothing. And menu quirks.
There’s no save function yet. I wanted to give people a chance to play this game. The instructions for this game is in the Readme file up on github. I’m not a professional programmer, just enjoy making games as a hobby.