[WIP] wonderboy 3 dragon's trap

(Nicolas Mougin) #1

I am working on a port of sega master system’s wonderboy 3 “the dragon’s trap”, a classic platformer with a dash of rpg style (stats, weapons).

Most of the graphical resources are dumped and converted to 1 bpp bitmaps (+ masks for the characters/enemies). I’ll share the pngs later on.

This is my first platformer, so far my only experience with arduino was to develop a choose your own adventure engine for the gamebuino, other than that I develop on Android and some windows utilities but no game yet.

I would like to know first if some people would be interested with the concept… WB3 is a great game from the 8-bit era, and not too hard to port to Arduboy I think (at least partly).
I could need help on basic AI for the enemies (never done that previously) and the music that IMHO are totally worth re-creating in chiptunes.

Don’t hesitate to give your feedback here and I’ll build on that.

Cheers,
Nicolas

(Nicolas Mougin) #2

A few resources:

The village (main hub of your adventure)

The beach:

A shop and its famous smoking pig :wink:

2 of the hero’s forms you can take: lizardman and hawkman

(Francisco Santos Belmonte) #3

Hi mougino,

That is really an interesting project; I can remember the first time I played to wonder boy (in monster land) and I love from beginning; it combines platform and rpg in a cool and interesting way.

Regarding IA, what I can remember, it was basic one (at least on the zx spectrum version of the game); it’s has some static enemies and other enemies that moves in a path (usually left to right - right to left).

Regarding game and memory limitations of Arduboy, have you check that has enough memory space to include the game levels you want to include?

Regards,

(Josh Goebel) #4

Interesting. Looks easy.

(spinal) #5

Also it might be worth looking into different level storage formats, other than just basic tile maps. Perhaps use meta-tiles, or object lists or something.

(Nicolas Mougin) #6

Hi, would you have more info on these meta-tiles? a reference or examples maybe? thanks!

(spinal) #7

Basically, you use multiple tile maps, so If your tiles are 8x8 pixels, use those tiles to make bigger tiles that would repeat, say 24x24 or 32x32. Then build your level with the larger tiles, so your main level map will be 3 or 4 times smaller, but you will need a second map to map out the larger tiles.
Not sure if I explained that very well.
An example would be super mario bros. (nes or snes) where the level tiles are obviously 16x16 pixels, but they would have been coded as 2x2 blocks or 8x8 tiles, because screens on that era consoles were made up of 8x8 tiles.