Yet another ESP8266 port of Arduboy2 lib. Specially for ESPboy

thanks ) i’m working on the online app catalog, making possible to OTA upload the firmware using wifi connection directly from the ESPboy

2 Likes

@ESPboy, I have downloaded your ESPBoy Adruboy2 library, and tried to compile it.
However, I got the following compilation error for all the game from your github link for ESPBoy Arduboy2, e.g. “galaxion”

Users/cheungbx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.6.3/libraries/ESP8266WiFi/src/CertStoreBearSSL.h:40:23: error: ‘FS’ has not been declared.

I was able to bypass this by removing the following line in arduboy2core.h
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
and the associated codes in arduboy2core.cpp that turns off the WIFI on ESP8266.’
Then the games will be able to run successfully.

I have tried to verify whether my ESP8266 core libraries are fine by compiling a WIFI program I wrote for ESP8266 using the same #include <ESP8266WiFi.h>. There were no compilation error. Hence it proves that my ESP8266 core libraries are fine.

Appreciate any idea to fix this problem.

I am using the latest version of Arduino 1.8.12 on my MAC OSX 10.14.6.
And I refreshed my ESP8266 board manager to 2.6.3 from this board manager url
http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

That’s where the ESP8266WIFI.h comes from.

Attached is the verbose output of the compilation with the error messages.
error.pdf (126.4 KB)

1 Like

I resolved the issue by downgrading the ESP8266 board package from ver 2.6.3 to 2.5.2. It seems there are changes starting from ver 2.6.0 that caused this problem. The Include FS.h have been introduced starting from 2.6.0. and changes in associated code to use the FS.h as file handler instead of a local variable in the previous version of 2.5.2.
I am not technical enough to find out why this will only fail when included from the Arduboy2.h library, yet it will work if you include in from your main program.
May be something to do with the namespace defined in FS.h, that is not accessible when referenced from Arduboy2.h.

1 Like

ESPboy App Store” done. It’s free, online, and works fine directly from the device. To get access first-time use https://github.com/ESPboy-edu/ESPboy_OTA
Connect to WiFi, chose any firmware, and upload the application or game in a minute without any wires, IDE’s, libraries, compilations, fighting errors, and bugs, etc. The same simple way as you get the new app with your smartphone.

The OTA is embedded into the ESPboy port of Arduboy2 lib thus getting access to the online app catalog from the compiled Arduboy game and making possible to download and run any app anytime using WiFi connection.

There are just a few Arduboy and LGE games available in this store now. But it’s just the beginning.

2 Likes

GameBoy games are also available at ESPboy now
even Zelda, looking similar to Arduventure )

1 Like

Yes ESPboy is very interesting, i see this kit: https://www.tindie.com/products/espboy_edu/espboy-kit-games-iot-stem-for-education-fun/
Is it a good price or did somehome know better place to buy it and other kits ?

2 Likes

ESPboy is an open-source, open-hardware project.

As an alternative way you could solder this gadget yourself according to the schematic
the overall cost of the parts is about $12-15

Thanks for me, as i have no 3D printer and can’t make the boards, i think the better way is to buy a kit but i’ll wait the disponibility of the modules. They seems very interesting but i’ll follow that on espboy forum :wink:

1 Like

want to re-port the games with ArdubiyPlaytune lib to restore music
but as i see, only Rayne the rogue uses this lib from the gamelist

RooRun
Joe
saru_gori_chin
Quadrastic
Pang
ArduSniper

2 Likes

The solution is to add two lines before #include of all other wifi libs) in ESPboyOTA.h

#include<FS.h> 
using fs::FS;
1 Like

@ESPboy

Thanks for fixing this issue which has been bugging me for the past month.
Now I can compile the ESPboy Arduboy2 libraries and use the OTA firmware download over WIFI to down load the many games on the Appstore.

Looking forward for your work to get microPython works on this as well.

Any one interested can watch one of my videos.

ESPboy Arduboy2 on breadboard.

ESPboy Arduboy2 on perfboard.

ESPBoy Arduboy2 firmware upload

ESPBoy Arduboy2 Arduino IDE library setup

2 Likes

The list of Arduboy games ported for ESPboy for today:

5 Likes

Great list and now, we have to be able to play between ESPboy and Arduboy via a quick, cheap and easy way (bluetooth ?) else with usb-C cable (Micro USB Audio and Link Cable) ? Solution of James Howard: (Why not making a LAN game?) jhhowardJames Howard

Sep 8

I made a 2 player game which uses the serial port. It requires a host PC or raspberry pi running a python script to relay communication between the two Arduboys.

IR like Mr Blinky and Crait writted it here: Please add wireless to Arduboy

I think it’s could be cool to decide for an “universal” method of communication between cool console like Pokitto, Gamebuino META, Gamebuino, ESPBoy, Odroid and of course Arduboy.

2 Likes

Very cool to see this! Reminds me of the ODROID GO (not yelling. It’s how they spell it).

In 2018, we ported Evade2 to it and also ported LibXMP for music and SFX. Lmk if you want access to that code base :slight_smile:

Thanks @JayGarcia )

I’ll think about LibXMP source code but ESPboy uses ESP8266 and Odroid Go ESP32 but it’s not a big problem.

Is there a version of evade2 for arduboy that uses the ArduboyPlayTunes library for tunes and not ATMLib2?

I would like to port this game too, and I don’t want to turn off the sound, cause porting of ATMlib2 is too much time consumption thing for only two games and ArduboyPlayTune already ported

the list of Arduboy>ESPboy ported games recently

5 Likes

more games ported recently

1 Like

A few Press Play on Tape games in that last batch!

2 Likes

Because everybody like them

2 Likes