Zoo At Midnight! - VERSION 1.0 RELEASED!

So despite being super late to the party, I have finished version 1 of my zoo themed game!

Scrawf must sneak around the zoo, collect the food, feed the animals, and escape - all without being caught in the flashlight beam of the zoo wardens!

I’ve had great fun making my latest Arduboy offering and I’d love to hear what you think about it. Files can be downloaded from my website here:

5 Likes

Looks cool! Reminds me of all the Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask anxiety sneaking passed guards lol

3 Likes

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:… Hopefully it’ll ​end up with something more visually appealing than my placeholder squares…

Turn it into a Solid Snake game! :smiley:

1 Like

I really hadn’t noticed the similarity to the MGS radar screen until you said that… but oh yeah does it look like that! :slight_smile:

… I WILL finish it … at some point when I’m not crazy busy :-S, jam just happened at the wrong time :frowning:

Is there source available?

2 Likes

If I can beg your indulgence just a little longer; truth is that I’m a little self-conscious about my coding ability so I’d prefer it to be in a releasable state before anyone takes a peek! :flushed:

2 Likes

The suspense! :hushed:

2 Likes

Take your time buddy, no pressure. :pizza: I think you’re making great progress, keep it up!

2 Likes

The wait is over! It’s here! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Nice! Metal gear solid style :stuck_out_tongue:

Too bad there is no sound effects :confused:

1 Like

Thanks! :blush:

Yeah… Sorry about the sound, it tends to fall by the wayside. I tend to play handheld games on the train, or in a public space so I usually mute immediately… Likewise when I’ve been putting this together, I’ve usually been on the train, or sneakily over lunch so I never really get around to sound… :thinking:

1 Like

But the alert sound… I almost hear the sound when I see the ALERT text. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I almost always have sound off on handheld consoles to conserve battery. I have done ever since my original GBA. Sometimes I’ll use headphones, but usually only if I’m playing at home.

Also I sometimes turn sound off when testing other people’s games and there are other people in the house and I don’t want to disturb them. (The same reason my PC doesn’t have speakers.)

When making games sound is quite far down the list for me because I can’t do music myself, it’s hard to get decent royalty-free stuff and it eats a reasonable chunk of memory.

1 Like

I could add the following phrase to the have description:

“For maximum enjoyment ensure that you made a loud ‘BBRRAAWWP’ whenever you alert the wardens”

Would that help? … Maybe it should just be a temporary workaround until I put some sound in :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe I’m just overly daunted by it. Some game sound design is pretty iconic, and getting it right is a totally different skillset to putting the game together (which I’m also hopelessly amateurish at).

… But yeah, I havn’t had speakers on my PC for years, headphones only… Maybe it’s the hangover from being a kid told to ‘turn that game down’ all the time!

Also instead of finding hatty, hat should be the main character so when you die, the game says: hat? Hatty? Hatttttyyyy?!! (With synthetized voice)

1 Like

This game is hard. If it wasn’t for infinite continue I would have made no progress. Takes some very precision positioning. The graphics look great. I like the way the flashlights are affected by obstacles.

1 Like

Thanks!! :slightly_smiling_face: … gauging difficulty is really really difficult to do. I’ve play tested it quite a bit so can zip through most of it (Hard mode is technically possible as I have made it “there and back” through all of the screens, but never in a single run). I tried to make some more difficult and easier screens to give some let up…

1 Like

We could use an easy mode. :laughing: Well at least I could.

1 Like